Austrey, Warwickshire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
(Redirected from Austrey, Warwickshire)
Jump to: navigation, search

England  Gotoarrow.png  WarwickshireGotoarrow.png  Warwickshire Parishes

Austrey, Warwickshire
St. Nicholas, Austrey .jpg
Type Ancient Parish
Civil Jurisdictions
Hundred Hemlingford
County Warwickshire
Poor Law Union Tamworth
Registration District Tamworth
Records begin
Parish registers: 1558
Bishop's Transcripts: 1674
Ecclesiastical Jurisdictions
Rural Deanery Arden
Diocese Worcester
Province Canterbury
Legal Jurisdictions
Probate Court Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory) Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Location of Archive
Warwickshire County Record Office

Parish History

Austrey is an Ancient Parish in the northern tip county of Warwickshire near Newton Regis Newton Regis, Warwickshire and No Man's Heath, and close to the Leicestershire villages of Appleby Magna, LeicestershireNorton juxta Twycross, Leicestershire  Orton on the Hill, Leicestershire. The village was sometimes spelt 'Alestry'.

AUSTREY St. Nicholas parish, in the Tamworth division of the hundred of Hemlingford,  Austrey had a parish church by 1155. The oldest part of the present Church of England parish church of Saint Nicholas is the Early English Gothic tower, which was built in the middle of the 13th century. The remainder of the church was rebuilt early in the 14th century in the Decorated Gothic style The Gothic Revival architect Ewan Christian restored the chancel with new windows in 1844-45.

The bell-tower has a ring of five bells. Three including the tenor were cast by Hugh Watts II of Leicester in 1632.Another was cast by Thomas Rudhall of Gloucester in 1770. The treble was recast by James Barwell of Birmingham in 1911 from another 1632 bell by Hugh Watts.

St. Nicholas' parish is now part of the Benefice of All Saints, North Warwickshire along with the parishes of Newton Regis, Seckington, Shuttington and Warton.

Austrey, is a parish in the district of Tamworth, Warwickshire; it is 4 miles NE of Polesworth railway station, and 6½ miles E N of Tamworth. The post office is under Atherstone. There is a Baptist chapel.[1]

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

See West Midlands BMDand Staffordshire BMD

Church records

Bishop's Transcripts deposited at the Lichfield Record Office Bap 1674-1831  Marr 1674-1832 Bur 1674-1832 Missing all events 1829


Census records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464172.


Poor Law Unions

Tamworth Poor Law Union, Staffordshire

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Warwickshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Websites

References

  1. John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870). Date accessed: 30 Oct 2013.