Austria, Upper Austria, Linz, Death Certificates (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Austria, Upper Austria, Linz, Death Certificates, 1818-1899 .
- 1 Title in the Language of the Record
- 2 Record Description
- 3 Record Content
- 4 How to Use the Record
- 5 Related Websites
- 6 Related Wiki Articles
- 7 Contributions to This Article
- 8 Citations for This Collection
Title in the Language of the Record
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Linz, Totenbeschauzettel
These records are written in German.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Austria, Upper Austria, L...h Certificates, 1818-1899.|
This collection contains certificates of death issued by the Stadtpfarrkirche Linz. The certificates include the name of the deceased, age, occupation, birthplace, country of origin, last residence, date & time of death, cause of death, and date of burial. Original certifcates are housed in the Oberösterreichischen Landesarchiv, Linz. The collections covers the years 1818 to 1899.
These records are in German. Refer to the For Help Reading the Records section of this article for further translation tools.
Death certificates usually include the following information:
- Name of the deceased
- Country of origin
- Last residence
- Date and time of death
- Cause of death
- Date of burial
How to Use the Record
This section provides information on how to search the collection, what to do with information once found, some tips on how to find records, and what to do if no record is found.
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor's given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence, age, estimated [event] year, and family relationships.
Search the Collection
To search by image:
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the “Quellengattung, Zeitraum, und Bandnummer” (record type, years, and number) which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
Using the Information
- Use the estimated age to calculate a birth date.
- Use the soldier's age and location of the military unit to find his family in census, church, and land records.
- Use the county code and the certificate number to obtain a copy of the original death certificate from the county.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
- Titles may be clues to property ownership, occupations, rank or status within the community.
- Use the estimated age to calculate a birth date.
- If you are unable to find your ancestor look for variant spellings of the surnames.
- Search the records of nearby localities.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Check for variant spellings of the names.
- Look for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. In addition local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records.
- Search the records of nearby localities (or military units, counties, parishes, etc.).
For Help Reading the Records
These records are in German. For help reading the records, see the following wiki articles:
|FHL Place Austria, Upper Austria items or FHL Keyword Austria, Upper Austria items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog.|
- Gedcom Index, Austria
- A Beginner’s Guide to Austrian Research
- Stadtpfarrkirche – Linz Parish Church
- Austria Websites
- Research in Austria
Related Wiki Articles
- Research in the Austro-Hungarian Empire
- Austria, Upper Austria, Linz Citizen Rolls (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Austria, Upper Austria, Linz, Miscellaneous City Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citations for This Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Austria, Upper Austria, Linz, Death Certificates,1818-1899." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Citing Linz Parish Church, Linz.
|The image citation is available by clicking on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Austria, Upper Austria, L...h Certificates, 1818-1899.|