Austria, Upper Austria, Linz, Death Certificates (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- 1 Title in the Language of the Record
- 2 What is in the Collection?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
- 7 Citing this Collection
Title in the Language of the Record
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Linz, Totenbeschauzettel
What is in the Collection?
This collection contains certificates of death issued by the Stadtpfarrkirche Linz. The certificates include the name of the deceased, age, occupation, birthplace, country of origin, last residence, date & time of death, cause of death, and date of burial. Original certifcates are housed in the Oberösterreichischen Landesarchiv, Linz. The collections covers the years 1818 to 1899.
These records are in German. For help reading the records, see the following wiki articles:
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Austria, Upper Austria, L...h Certificates, 1818-1899.|
Death certificates usually include the following information:
- Name of the deceased
- Country of origin
- Last residence
- Date and time of death
- Cause of death
- Date of burial
How Do I Search the Collection?
When searching, it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's name
- Age and or residence
- An estimated event year
- A parent's name
Search by name by visiting the Collection page:
Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information in the list to what you already know about your ancestor to determine if it is the correct family or person. You may need to compare several persons in the list before you find your ancestor.
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
To search by image:
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the “Quellengattung, Zeitraum, und Bandnummer” (record type, years, and number) which takes you to the images.
What Do I Do Next?
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found Who I was Looking for, What Now?
- Use the age in the record to find an approximate birth year, which will help you find their other records.
- Use the information to find your ancestors in civil records. There may not be census records available but these can help you find additional family members.
- Repeat this process with additional family members found to find more generations of the family.
I Can’t Find Who I’m Looking for, What Now?
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc.
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality in an area search.
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images.
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names. Try searching for these names as well.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Austria, Upper Austria, Linz, Death Certificates,1818-1899." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Citing Linz Parish Church, Linz.
|The image citation is available by clicking on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Austria, Upper Austria, L...h Certificates, 1818-1899.|