Austria, Vienna, Jewish Registers of Births, Marriages, and Deaths (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Austria, Vienna, Jewish Registers of Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1784-1911 .
- 1 Title in the Language of the Record
- 2 What is in the Collection?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 5 Tips to Keep in Mind
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Related Websites
- 8 Related Wiki Articles
- 9 Related FamilySearch Historical Record Articles
- 10 How You Can Contribute
- 11 Citing this Collection
Title in the Language of the Record
Österreich, Wien, jüdischen Register der Geburten, Heiraten und Sterbefälle, 1784-1911
What is in the Collection?
These records are written in German.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Austria, Vienna, Jewish Registers of Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1784-1911.|
This Collection will include records from 1850 to 1896. These records are in German. For translation tools, see the For Help Reading the Records section of this article.
The collection consists of registers of births, marriages, deaths, and some burials for the Jewish Community of Vienna (Israelitische Kultusgemeinde Wien).
For a list of records by localities and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browselink from the collection landing page.
Birth Registers may include the following:
- Name of Declarant/Father
- Declarant's Age, Occupation and Residence
- Name and Gender of Child
- Date and Place of Birth
- Parents' Names, including Maiden Name of Mother
- Names of Witnesses or Godparents
- Witnesses’ Age, Occupation and Residence
Marriage Registers may include the following:
- Date and Place of Marriage
- Groom's Age, Marital Status, Occupation and Residence
- Names of Groom's Parents, including Maiden Name of Mother
- Bride's Age, Marital Status, Occupation and Residence
- Names of Bride's Parents, including Maiden Name of Mother
- Birthplaces of Bride and Groom
- Witnesses' Names, Age and Occupation
Death Registers may include the following:
- Date and Place of Death and Burial
- Name and Age of Deceased
- Cause of Death
- Father of Deceased and his Occupation
- Date and Birthplace of Deceased
- Marital Status of Deceased
- If Married, the Name of the Spouse
How Do I Search the Collection?
To search by image follow this series of links:
⇒ Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒ Select the "Town or City" category
⇒ Select "Record Type" category
⇒ Select "Item Description" which takes you to the images.
Look at each image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor's given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence, age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
These records are in German. For help reading the records, see the following wiki article:
Tips to Keep in Mind
- Use the estimated age to calculate a birth date.
- Use the locality to search for other records.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Titles may be clues to property ownership, occupations, rank, or status within the community.
- You may need to search using a nickname or alternative name.
Known Issues with This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
|FHL Place Austria, Niederösterreich, Wien items or FHL Keyword Austria, Niederösterreich, Wien items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog.|
- Jewish Web Index
- Tracing Your Ancestors in Vienna
- Research in Austria
- Austria Websites
- Map of Austria, 1801
Related Wiki Articles
- Austria Jewish Research
- Austria Jewish Records
- Austrian Poland Jewish Research
- Research in the Austro-Hungarian Empire
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Articles
- Austria Vienna Population Cards (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Austria Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Austria Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Austria Burials (FamilySearch Historical Records)
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Austria, Vienna, Jewish Registers of Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1784-1911." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Citing Jüdische Gemeinde Wien. Niederösterreichischen Stadt und Landesarchiv Wien.
|The image citation is available by clicking on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Austria, Vienna, Jewish Registers of Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1784-1911.|