Bampton Proper, Oxfordshire Genealogy
|Bampton Proper, Oxfordshire|
|Poor Law Union||Witney|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1680|
|Probate Court||Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford|
|Location of Archive|
|Oxfordshire Record Office|
BAMPTON, an ancient village or township, a parish, a subdistrict, and a hundred, in Oxford. The village stands on a small tributary of the Thames, 5½ miles SSW of Witney r. station, and 6 N NE of Faringdon. It was formerly called Bampton-in-the-Bush; and is sometimes designated, in union with the hamlet of Weald, as Bampton-with-Weald.
Bampton Proper is an Ecclesiastical Parish and a market town in the county of Oxfordshire, created in 1845 from Bampton Ancient Parish. Other places in the parish include: Weald. St. Mary is the name of the parish church. A Church Near You provides additional information. A photo of the church is available on the Sacred Destinations website.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474571.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Oxfordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales