Bangor Maine Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Bangor Family History Center serves Bangor, Maine, and surrounding areas, and is open to the public with no admission charge.
Center Contacts and Hours
- 639 Grandview Ave Bangor ME United States.
- The Family History Center is located on the right side in the back wing of the building.
- The words Family History Center are posted above the wing where the entrance is located.
- Please ring the buzzer (to the left of the door) for access.
- (207) 942-7677, press 2 for the Family History Center when prompted
- Tuesday:10:00am-2:00pm and 6:00pm-8:00pm
- Wednesday:10:00am-2:00pm and 6:00pm-8:00pm
- Thursday:10:00am-2:00pm and 6:00pm-8:00pm
Closed snow-days (at least when Bangor schools are closed), holidays and holiday weekends, and Church Conference Saturdays. We will be closed Thursday, February 16, 2017 because of inclement weather.
Calendar and Events
|The following classes are planned for the Bangor Family History Center (free and open to the public):|
- To Be Determined - 10-11:30 am - Bangor FHC RootsTech Film Series: Subject to be announced later. One film will be shown, followed by a discussion.
- Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 6 pm - genealogy workshop for the Penobscot County Genealogical Society.
- Check out the online FamilySearch Research Courses at Link
- Please email suggestions/requests for specific classes in Bangor.
Staff Training Meetings
- One on one as requested by the Staff Member.
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- Books, over 1,430 microfilms, and over 580 fiche sets, primarily for Maine and other New England states. A smattering of books regarding other states. Some Canadian, British, and German films and books.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Currently, these websites include 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive, Alexander Street Press - The American Civil War, Ancestry.com, Findmypast, Fold3.com, Historic Map Works, Kinpoint, MyHeritage, Access Newspaper Archive, Paper Trail, ProQuest Obituary Listings, Puzzilla.org, and World Vital Records.
- ArkivDigital Online is available from the desktops.
Hardware and Equipment
- 7 computers and 1 printer (the printer can copy to a pdf or jpg file)
- 4 microfilm readers, equipped with monopods for mounting a digital camera to take pictures of film images (Note: Patrons may use their own camera or the FHC camera)
- 1 digital camera and Kingston card reader to transfer images (Note: Patrons should bring a USB or thumb drive to receive the images)
- 4 microfiche readers
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
- Bangor Public Library: Link
- Fogler Library, University of Maine, Orono: Link
- Franco-American Centre and Library, University of Maine, Orono: http://francolib.francoamerican.org/
- Penobscot Maritime Museum, Searsport: Link
- Maine State Archives, Augusta: Link
- Maine State Library, Augusta: Link
- Maine State Museum, Augusta: Link
- Online Film Ordering: Link
- Online Catalog for the University of Maine System Libraries, Bangor Public Library, Maine State Library, and Maine State Archives is called URSUS, which is available at Link
- FamilySearch Research Wiki article for Maine: Maine Genealogy
Volunteer at the Center
- We appreciate everyone who comes to help.
- Please email (see above for our email address) if you are interested in helping.