Bearstead, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Bearstead, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Bearsted Holy Cross Kent
|Poor Law Union||Maidstone|
|Parish registers: 1563|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1564|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
BEARSTEAD (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union of Maidstone, hundred of Eyhorne, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 2½ miles (E.) from Maidstone.
Bearsted is a village and civil parish in the Maidstone district of Kent Bearsted Wikipedia
Bearsted Holy Cross is an Ancient Parish in the diocese of Canterbury; a map of the parish boundary may be found at A church near you
The Parish Church of the Holy Cross, Church Lane, Bearsted has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
See also Kent Archaeological Society for history of the church. William Page Houses of Austin canons: The priory of Leeds', A History of the County of Kent: Volume 2 (1926), pp. 162-165 at British History Online refers to the church in relation to Leeds Priory and Edward Hasted The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 5 (1798), pp. 505-513 at British History Online
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Bearstead, Kent Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|FS PRs = England, Kent, Parish Registers (FamilySearch) - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|Bearstead, Kent Genealogy Online Parish Records|
|FS PRs||1655-1900||1655-1900; 1754-1900 (banns)||1655-1900|
Images for Bearstead are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) 1780-1831
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
Introduction to LDS Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view this collection using the portal.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848), pp. 184-187. Date accessed: 1 July 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish baptism records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish burial records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 12 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 12 November 2013.