Beaumaris, Anglesey Genealogy
BEAUMARIS, a sea-port, borough, market-town, and chapelry, having exclusive jurisdiction, and jointly with Bangor the head of a union, in the parish of Llandegvan, locally in the hundred of Tyndaethwy, county of Anglesey, in North Wales, 8 miles (N. N. E.) from Bangor, and 247 (N. W. by W.) from London. This place, which is the county town of Anglesey, was anciently called Porth Wgyr: it derives its present name from its situation in a fine open flat, formerly marshy, but now a fertile plain, on the western shore of the Menai strait, near its junction with the Irish Sea. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, is a spacious structure in the decorated and later styles, embellished in 1825 at a considerable expense, and comprising a nave, chancel, and north and south aisles, with a lofty square embattled tower crowned with crocketed pinnacles. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists.
"BEAUMARIS, a parish, market town, seaport, and municipal and parliamentary borough in the hundred of Tyndaethwy, in the island county of Anglesey, North Wales, 3 miles to the N. of Bangor, and 238 miles from London by the Holyhead railway. It is the county town of Anglesey, and is situated on the north-western shore of the beautiful bay of Beaumaris, near the north-eastern entrance of the Menai Strait. A town existed on this spot at a very early period, and was called Porth Wgyr, and afterwards Bonover. For more information see Beaumaris, Anglesey at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1846). Adapted. Date accessed: 21 Aug 2014.