Benson County, North Dakota Genealogy
Guide to Benson County, North Dakota ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Benson County Courthouse
Benson County, North Dakota Record Dates
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Business, Commerce, and Occupations
Online Territory and State Census Indexes and Records
- 1885 – Dakota Territory 1885 Census Index at NDSU Archives – index only
- 1885, 1915, 1925 – North Dakota, Territorial and State Censuses, 1885, 1915, 1925 at Ancestry.com – ($), index and images
- 1915 – North Dakota Census, 1915 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images
- 1925 – North Dakota Census, 1925 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images
- Records of Flora Lutheran Church in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
Land and Property Records
When the United States acquired North Dakota, most of the land became available for homesteading or purchase from the federal government. For more information on this, see North Dakota Land and Property.
After land was transferred from the government to private owners, the registrar of deeds in each county recorded the land transactions in the form of deeds and mortgages.
Local histories are available for Benson County, North Dakota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section North Dakota Local Histories.
Maps and Gazetteers
Naturalization and Citizenship
Online Naturalization Indexes and Records
- North Dakota Naturalization Records Index at NDSU Archives – index only, covers various dates and counties
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Benson County, North Dakota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records of North Dakota are at the county clerk's office.
- For selected estate case rulings, see North Dakota Supreme Court.
- See also North Dakota Probate Records.
Online Probate Records
- 1800 – 1985 North Dakota and South Dakota Wills and Probate Records 1800-1985 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
Tax records are at the county treasurer's, auditor's or clerk's office, or the state archives.
Vital Records (birth, marriage, death, and divorce records) may be recorded on registers, certificates, or other documents at the county clerk's office.
- See also North Dakota Vital Records for more information.
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
Fort Totten State Historic Site
PO Box 224
Fort Totten, ND 58335
Lake Region Pioneer Daughters Museum
at Fort Totten State Historic Site
c/o Bonnie McNaughton
817 7th St. NE
Devils Lake, ND 58301-2634
Brenorsome Historical Society
c/o Louis Garcia
PO Box 232
Tokio, ND 58379
Minnewaukan Historical Society
c/o Richard Peterson
PO Box 183
Minnewaukan, ND 58351-0183
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog The FamilySearch catalog contains descriptions and access information for all genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) in their collection. Use Historical Records to search for specific individuals in genealogical records.
- Benson County, North Dakota Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Benson County, North Dakota. Page 522 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).