Berechurch, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Berechurch, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
St Michael and All Angels, Berechurch, Essex
|Poor Law Union||Colchester|
|Parish registers: 1664|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1629; 1813|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
BERECHURCH or BERE-CHURCH (St. Michael), is a parish, in the union, and within the liberties of the borough, of Colchester, N. division of Essex, it is 2¼ miles (S. by W.) from Colchester.
Also known as West Donyland St Margaret with St Michael.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Berechurch, Essex Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|ESSEX = EssexAncestors - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|Berechurch, Essex Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241380.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
Berechurch on GENUKI
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) Adapted: access date 7 May 2013
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 3 March 2012. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "essex" defined multiple times with different content
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011.
- Batch C035971, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Essex, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 April 2012.
- Batch M035971, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Essex, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 April 2012.