Berkshire was chartered on June 22, 1781 by the Vermont Legislature. Berkshire was one of six towns (the others being Enosburgh, Montgomery, Richford, Wyllis [now Jay] and Westfield) authorized by the legislature in the spring of 1780. It contains the unincorporated village of East Berkshire. The population of Berkshire at the 2010 US Census was 1,692.  
- History of Berkshire (VT), by Garnet L Harvey and the Berkshire Historical Society (1994) - find this book in a library.
- Berkshire bygones, by Marjorie C Roberts (198-) - find this book in a library.
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
Berkshire, Vermont Land Records, 1852-1908, can be found online at FamilySearch (browse only images).
Franklin Probate Division
17 Church St.
St. Albans, VT 05478
Phone: (802) 524-7948
Franklin County, Vermont Probate Records, 1796-1921 are available on FamilySearch (browse only images).
- Calvary Episcopal Church (Bershire, Vermont) Records, 1826-1832, are available on microfilm at the Family History Library. Order film online.
- Methodist Episcopal Church (West Berkshire, Vermont) Records, 1851-1890, are available on microfilm at the Family History Library. Order film online.
The following is a list of major cemeteries in present-day Berkshire Town. For location of all cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Franklin County, website at this link.
- Berkshire Center Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- East Berkshire Episcopal Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- East Berkshire Congregational Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- West Berkshire Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
Town Clerk Vital and Town Records, 1800 -2000, can be found on FamilySearch (browse only images).
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Berkshire Town Clerk's Office. These include Vital records of Berkshire, Vermont, 1850-Mar. 2000; indexes, ca. 1785-Aug.? 2000, and Deeds, 1794-1852; index to deeds, 1789-1950.
Berkshire Town Clerk
4454 Watertower Road
Bershire, VT 05450
Phone: (802) 933-2335
Libraries and Historical Societies
- About Berkshire, Vermont - http://www.virtualvermont.com/towns/berkshire.html#about
- Berkshire Town, Vermont - http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vermont/FranklinBerkshire.html