Betws Garmon, Gwynedd Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Wales Gotoarrow.png Caernarfonshire Gotoarrow.png Caernarfonshire Parishes Gotoarrow.png Betws Garmon

History

BETTWS-GARMON, a hamlet and a parish in the district and county of Carnarvon. The hamlet stands on an eminence, adjacent to the rivulet Gwrfai, amid grand scenery of crag and lake and mountain, 3 miles ESE of Griffith's Craig r. station, and 5 SE of Carnarvon; and it has fairs on 15 May aid 3 Dec. The parish comprises 2,759 acres; and its Post Town is Carnarvon. Real property, £749. Pop., 94. Houses, 21. The property is divided among a few. The surface is largely mountainous; and lies immediately W of Snowdon. Green pastures below the hamlet contrast finely with bold crags and rugged heights above. A spring on the hill-side, called St. Garmon's well, about a mile W of the hamlet, has considerable medicinal repute. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £90. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is good. (John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

For more information see Betws Garmon, Caernarvonshire at genuiki.org.uk


Records


Civil Registration


Church Records


Census Records


Probate Records


Maps and Gazetteers

Web Sites