Billingford (near Foulsham), Norfolk Genealogy
|Billingford (near Foulsham), Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Mitford and Launditch|
|Parish registers: 1744|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Billingford St Peter is an Ancient parish in the diocese of Norfolk and in the deanery of Sparham in the Diocese of Norwich and should not be confused with the village and parish of the same name near Scole Billingford (near Scole), Norfolk.
BILLINGFORD, a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Eynsford, E. division of Norfolk, 6 miles (N. N. E.) from East Dereham. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. 
Also known as Billingford near East Dereham.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Mitford 1837-1938
- East Dereham 1939-1974
Billingford (near Foulsham), Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Billingford (near Foulsham), Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Browse Bishop's Transcript Images on FamilySearch
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438855.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
- Mitford and Launditch http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/mitford_and_launditch_workhouse.htm
- Records of the Mitford and Launditch Poor Law Union1776-1948
Norfolk Record Office C/GP 14
Extent 137 pieces
The following parishes comprised the 1836 union: Bawdeswell, Beeston, Beetley, Billingford, East Bilney, Bintry, Brisley, Bylaugh, Colkirk, Cranworth, East Dereham, Great Dunham, Little Dunham, North Elmham, Elsing, Foxley, Great Fransham, Little Fransham, Garvestone, Gately, Gressenhall, Guist, Hardingham, Hockering, Hoe, Horningtoft, Kempstone, Letton, East Lexham, West Lexham, Litcham, Longham, Lyng, Mattishall, Mattishall Burgh, Mileham, Oxwick with Pattesley, Reymerstone, Rougham, Scarning, Shipdham, Southburgh, Sparham, Stanfield, Swanton Morley, Thuxton, Tittleshall, East Tuddenham, North Tuddenham, Twyford, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St Peter, Wellingham, Wendling, Westfield, Whinburgh, Whissonsett, Wood Rising, Worthing, Yaxham.
All fifty parishes of Mitford and Launditch Hundreds were incorporated in 1775 under the terms of An act for the better relief and employment of the poor within the hundreds of Mitford and Launditch, 15 Geo. III, cap. 59. In 1801 the parish of East Dereham separated from the Incorporation, but in 1836 all fifty original parishes plus ten from Eynesford Hundred joined together in a new union. The House of Industry belonging to the old incorporation, built at Gressenhall in 1776-1777, was repaired and altered in 1836 to become the new Union Workhouse. Mitford and Launditch Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 10 in 1930.
Acquisition Received by the Norfolk Record Office on unknown dates, 6 June 1979 (numbered C/GP 14/1a (part)), 3 February 1984 (numbered C/GP 14/136), 21 July 1989 (numbered C/GP 14/137), 18 May 1976 (numbered C/GP 14/47-49, 82, 101, 104 110-113), 18 March 1976 (numbered C/GP 14/105), and 15 August 1978 (numbered C/GP 14/135).
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
1664 Hearth Taxes courtesy of Marg Keable and Norfolk Transcription Archive
- Billingford near East Dereham on GenUKI
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 237-241. Date accessed: 2 September 20013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'National Burial Index - Norfolk Coverage,' findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 16 April 2014.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 11 April 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Church of England Bishops' Transcripts Parish Search/Billingford', FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 11 April 2016.
- 'England, Norfolk, Church of England Bishops' Transcripts Parish Search/Billingford (near East Dereham)', FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 11 April 2016.
http://www.achurchnearyou.com/billingford-st-peter/ for information about the parish
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-220654-church-of-st-peter-billingford British Listed buildings
http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/billingford/billingford2.htm Norfolk Churches websitehttp://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/313619 for images of the church