Binham, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Binham, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Walsingham|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Binham St Mary and the Holy Cross is an Ancient parish in the Diocese of Norwich. The earlier Binham priory had a dedication to the Holy Cross.
BINHAM (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union of Walsingham, hundred of North Greenhoe, W. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (S. W.) from Well.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Walsingham 1837-1938
- Fakenham 1939-1974
- The Register Office, Fakenham Connect, Oak Street, Fakenham, NR21 9SR.
Tel: 01328 850111. E-mail: email@example.com
Binham, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Binham, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1559-1653, 1702-1876||Undefined||1559-1653, 1702-1909||Undefined||1559-1653, 1702-1903|
||1755-1837; 1755-1876 (Banns)||
Browse Bishop's Transcript Images on FamilySearch
- 1698 Image 23
- 1698-1699 Image 24
- 1705-1706 Image 376
- 1709-1710 Image 1131
- 1709-1710 Image 1132
- 1710-1711 Image 1137
- 1710-1711 Image 1138
- 1711-1712 Image 1140
- 1711-1712 Image 1141
- 1712-1713 Image 1145
- 1712-1713 Image 1146
- 1713-1714 Image 1157
- 1713-1714 Image 1158
- 1714-1715 Image 1165
- 1714-1715 Image 1166
- 1714-1715 Image 1167
- 1715-1716 Image 1194
- 1715-1716 Image 1195
- 1719-1723 Image 37
- 1719-1723 Image 38
- 1727-1728 Image 3 (in Walsingham)
- 1811-1812 Image 7
- 1811-1812 Image 8
- 1811-1812 Image 9
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 558
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Genealogy From Periodicals
Elgar, Dennis. "They Did Not Move Around Much Before 1900." History of William Elgar and Susan Rolin, starting in 1801, with moves to Binham, Gunthorpe, Tasburgh, Engfield, Hales, Bedford, Leeds Yorkshire, with surnames Massingham, Butlar, Ramm, Livick, Brier, Prewett, Sheppard, Gilbert, Mills, Nicholson, McClarty. dated 1801-1978.Article in The Norfolk Ancestor, vol. 7 pt.11, Dec 1995, pages 432-435, Family History Library Ref. 942.61 B2j v, 7 n.6-13
Poor Law Unions
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Walsingham/Walsingham.shtml
Walsingham Union was incorporated under the terms of the 1834 Act, and the union workhouse was built at Great Snoring, but not completed until 1838. The Walsingham Union Workhouse at Great Snoring was opened in 1838. It was situated close to the boundary between the parishes of Great Snoring and Thursford and was sometimes known as Thursford Workhouse. Poor Law Unions were abolished in 1930 and the responsibilities of Walsingham Union Board of Guardians were taken over by Norfolk County Council Guardians' Committee No. 7. From 1930 the former Workhouse became known as Walsingham Public Assistance Institution. On 26 and 27 June 1934 the remaining thirty inmates (including two infants but no children) were transferred to West Beckham and Gressenhall Institutions and Walsingham Institution officially closed on 30 June 1934. The building was subsequently adapted for use as a smallpox hospital. By 1976 the building was derelict and was demolished in the early 1990s.
Acquisition Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 26 February 1982 (C/GP 19/192-198) and on unknown dates.
Copies C/GP19/1-6, 131, 133-135, 137, 141, 143-146, 148, 150-151, 173-181 are on microfilm.
RelatedMaterial For records of Guardians Committee No. 7 (including the administration of Red House Children's Home in Little Snoring and the boarding-out of children), see C/GC 7. See Public Assistance Sub-Committee minutes, 11 July 1934 and 12 September 1934, C/C 10/455. The records of the County Architect's Department include plans of the alterations for use as a smallpox hospital dated February 1937, see C/AR 1/29-31. The one inch to one mile Ordnance Survey Map of 1954 designates the building 'smallpox hospital'.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Binham on GenUKI
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Samuel A. Lewis,244-248.A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 244-248. Date accessed 2 September 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 24 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 10 February 2014.
- Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 15 April 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Church of England Bishops' Transcripts Parish Search/Binham', FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 11 April 2016.