Birmingham Poor Law Union, Warwickshire

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

History

The Birmingham parish workhouse came into being after 3 April 1734 resolved to purchase a site and build a parish workhouse. The original rectangular building had two wings added subsequently.

For information see The Workhouse

Constituent Parishes

Birmingham St Martin, Warwickshire
Birmingham All Saints, Warwickshire
Birmingham Bishop Ryder, Warwickshire
Birmingham St Bartholomew, Warwickshire

Birmingham St George, Warwichshire
Birmingham St Jude, Warwickshire
Birmingham St Luke, Warwickshire
Birmingham St Mark, Warwickshire
Birmingham St Paul, Warwickshire
Birmingham St Peter, Warwickshire
Birmingham St Philip, Warwickshire
Birmingham St Stephen, Warwickshire
Birmingham St Thomas, Warwickshire

Records


  • Birmingham Archives and Heritage Service, Central Library, Chamberlain Square, Birmingham B3 3HQ. Holdings include: Guardians' minute books (1783-1930); Indoor relief lists (1889-1915); Baptism registers (1864 onwards); Workhouse infirmary (later Dudley Road Hospital) admission and discharge registers (1899 onwards with many gaps and in poor condition); Various other workhouse infirmary records e.g. post mortems, death registers (from early 1900s); Marston Green Cottage Homes registers (1880-1934).
  • Birmingham Archdiocesan Archives, Cathedral House, St Chad’s Queensway, Birmingham, B4 6EU. Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows in the Workhouse, Western Road — RC Baptisms (1856-1902).

Websites

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Birmingham/Birmingham.shtml