Bishopstone, Sussex Genealogy
Guide to Bishopstone, Sussex ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Newhaven|
|Parish registers: 1561|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1592|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) of Chichester for the Archdeaconry of Lewes|
|Location of Archive|
|Sussex Record Office|
BISHOPSTONE, a parish, in the union of Newhaven, hundred of Bishopstone, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 1¼ mile (N. W. by N.) from Seaford.
Bishopstone St Andrew is an Ancient Parish in civil parish of Seaford in the Lewes District of East Sussex and is thought to date from the 8th century.
A history of the church has been complied by Sussex Parish Churches website Bishopstone St Andrew
The church of St Andrew has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
From 1837 this parish was in Lewes Registration District
Certificates may be obtained from
The Register Office
Phone: 01323 464780
Fax: 01323 431386
Link to the FamilySearch Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Bishopstone
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Sussex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 263-267. Date accessed: 20 September 2013
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.