Bitton, Gloucestershire Genealogy
Guide to Bitton, Gloucestershire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||Langley and Swinehead|
|Poor Law Union||Keynsham|
|Parish registers: 1571|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1571|
|Diocese||Pre 1836 - Gloucester; Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Gloucestershire Record Office|
BITTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Keynsham, Upper division of the hundred of Langley and Swinehead, W. division of the county of Gloucester. containing the chapelries of Hanham and Oldland, and the district of Kingswood, and hamlet of Bitton, 6¼ miles(E. S. E.) from Bristol. This parish is bounded on the south by the river Avon.There are separate incumbencies at Hanham and Kingswood; a chapel of ease at Oldland; and places of worship for Independents, Moravians, and Wesleyans. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Bitton St Mary parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|AC = Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials (Ancestry) - (£)|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) (£)|
|FREG = FreeReg.org.uk - free|
|IARC = Internet Archive - free|
|Bitton St Mary Online Records|
Bitton Holy Trinity parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Bitton Holy Trinity Online Records|
- Main article: Hanham, Gloucestershire Genealogy
- Main article: Oldland, Gloucestershire Genealogy
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288773.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Gloucestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 267-270. Date accessed: 07 May 2013.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938', Ancestry, accessed 21 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 24 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938', Ancestry, accessed 20 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Burials, 1813-1988,' Ancestry, accessed 5 July 2016.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 1 December 2012.
- P.W.P. Carlyon-Britton, The Registers of Bitton, Co. Gloucester (London: Parish Register Society, 1900). Digitised by Internet Archive - free.