Blue Water Michigan Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Blue Water Michigan Family History Center, located on the beautiful St. Clair River on the corner of M29 and Yankee Roads, serves all of St. Clair County. The Center is a reference office with materials and a friendly staff on hand to provide assistance in using center resources to identify ancestors.
Center Contacts and Hours
- 1990 North River Rd St Clair MI 48079 United States
- Corner of M29 and Yankee Road.
- This is not a mailing address.Due to limited staff, Family History Centers are unable to respond to mail inquiries.
- The Blue Water Family History Center entrance is located at the South door of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints building.
- Enter through the double doors and we are the first door on the right.
- Restrooms are available.
- There is plenty of parking including handicapped accessible.
Closed Tuesday after Memorial Day and Labor Day weekend: Closed July 4th: Closed the week of Thanksgiving: Closed the last two weeks of December: Other sporadic closings throughout the year: We occasionally close unexpectedly because of inclement weather or illness. Please call for information about unexpected alterations to our normal operation hours.
Calendar and Events
- The 1940 US Census will be available online on April 2, 2012 for the first time. Unlike previous census years, images of the 1940 US Federal Census will be made available as free digital images. Upon the census' release, FamilySearch and its partners will coordinate efforts to provide quick access to these digital images and immediately start indexing these records to make them searchable online for free. This census is the largest, most comprehensive, and most recent record set documenting the 132 million people living in the United States in 1940. For more information about how you can get involved in the 1940 US Census Project, please visit: https://familysearch.org/1940Census.
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog. (See Online Film and Fiche Ordering below for changes to our ordering methods.)
Online Film and Fiche Ordering:
The current process that patrons use to order microfilm or microfiche to a family history center has changed. Patrons may place their orders on any computer with an Internet connection using the new Online Film Ordering system in your area beginning October 19, 2011.
The film ordering Web site is located at https://www.familysearch.org/films. There patrons can create a personal account and select the preferred family history center where the films they order will be sent. They can make payment using a credit or debit card, or by PayPal. Once ordered, the requested films can be viewed at the family history center. They cannot be removed from the center.
The benefits of the system are:
- Patrons can order microfilm or microfiche anywhere there is an Internet connection. They will not need to go to a family history center to place an order.
- Money transactions for microfilm and microfiche loans will be removed from the family history center.
- The Online Film Ordering system provides directors better film inventory management.
Microfilm On Indefinite Loan:
- Various Michigan County Census Records 1820-1930.
- St. Clair County Birth Indexes 1868-1972
- Delayed Births 1867-1972; Marriages 1838-1917; Deaths 1868-1974.
- Other Michigan Counties including Birth, Marriage, Death and Cemetery Records.
- Various U.S. States: California, Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas.
- Various Foreign Countries: Canada, and extensive German collection and other countries.
- The Family History Center has a complete inventory listing on hand for your convenience.
Databases and Software:
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
- Three computers are available for access to FamilySearch.org and Ancestry.com as well as other family history resources on the Internet.
- Three microfilm and microfiche readers
- Computer printouts - $0.15 per page
- Microfilm rental fees: $7.50 per film kept 60 days; Short-term extension $7.50; Estended film loan $18.75; Microfiche loan $4.75. (Patron will order and pay for all films and fiche with an online connection only)
- Before ordering, patron or Family History Consultant should check to see if record has been digitized.
- We currently do not have access to a Microfilm Printer.
Resources in the Local Area
- The Michigan Room
St. Clair County Library - Main Library
210 McMorran Blvd.
Port Huron, Michigan 48060
Phone: (810) 987-7323
Toll Free: (877) 987-READ
- Michigan Room Hours
Monday: 8:30-4:00, 5:30-8:30
Tuesday through Friday: 8:30-4:00
Saturday: 9:30 - 5:00 CLOSED for LUNCH (12-2)
- St. Clair County Family History Group, Inc.
All meetings are held on the fourth Wednesday of the month at 7:30 p.m., except November (3rd Wednesday), and no meeting in December.
Sandy Knoell oversees the refreshments and snacks that are provided at every meeting.
The meetings are held at:
Port Huron Museum
1115 Sixth Street
Port Huron, Michigan
- St. Clair County Family History Group
P.O. Box 611483
Port Huron, MI 48061-1483
- Sanilac County Historical Society
P.O. Box 156
Port Sanilac, MI 48469
- Huron County Genealogical Society
- St. Clair County Clerk
201 McMorran Boulevard
Port Huron, MI 48060-4006
- Sanilac County Clerk
Courthouse, Rm 203
60 West Saniac Avenue
Sandusky, MI 48471-1060
(810) 648-3212, ext. 8221
- Huron County Clerk
County Building, Room 201
Bad Axe, MI 48413