Bocking, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Bocking, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
St Marys Church, Bocking Churchstreet, Braintree Essex
|Poor Law Union||Braintree|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1802|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Peculiar Deanery of Bocking|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Bocking (St Mary the Virgin), is a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Braintree district, Essex. The village stands on the left bank of the Blackwater river, it is on the Braintree railway, adjacent to Braintree; it forms a suburb of that town. There is an Independent chapel.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Bocking, Essex Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Bocking, Essex Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Online images are available Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office
Bocking St Mary the Virgin parish register, Bishop's transcripts, transcripts and 1793 and 1807 census
Bocking St Peter (in the Fields) parish registers
Records online for Bocking meeting (Society of Friends Bishop's transcripts Burials,Bocking Congregational Church
- Protestant Dissenters
- Society of Friends/Quaker
- Wesleyan Methodist
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241369.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Bocking on GENUKI
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870). Adapted: access date 7 May 2013
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 3 March 2012.
- Essex Coverage in FreeReg, FreeREG, accessed 19 April 2012.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.
- James Junius Goodwin, The First Register of Saint Mary's Church, Bocking, Essex, England. Baptisms 1561-1605; Marriages, 1593-1639; Burials, 1558-1628 (1903). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- Batches P008101, C008102, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Essex, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 April 2012.
- Batch M008101, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Essex, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 April 2012.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 15 May 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Essex,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 15 May 2012.