Bodedern, Anglesey Genealogy
BÔDEDERN (BÔD-EDEYRN), a parish, in the hundred of Llyvon, union and county of Anglesey, North Wales, 18 miles (W. by N.) from Bangor. This place derived its name from Edeyrn, a bard who flourished about the middle of the seventh century, and who, having embraced a religious life, presided over the church here. The church, dedicated to St. Edeyrn, is a small ancient structure, displaying some good architectural details; it measures 19 yards by 8, and contains 150 sittings. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists.
BODEDERN, a parish in the hundred of Lyfon, in the county of Anglesey, North Wales, 7 miles to the E. of Holyhead. The name of this place, which signifies "House of Edern," is derived from a bard who resided here in the 7th century. It is situated in a pleasant country on the old road to Holyhead. For more information, see Bodedern, Anglesey at Genuki.org.uk.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464296.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1846). Adapted. Date accessed: 21 Aug 2014.