Bolen's Independent Company, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate)
"Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Bolen’s Company of Independent Cavalry, Kentucky Volunteers, Confederate States Army
Many men mustered in from Fort Henry, located in Stewart County and Henry County, Tennessee, and Calloway County, Kentucky.
The records for this Regiment's Companies are from the book, Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Kentucky, Vol. II, Confederate Kentucky Volunteers War 1861-65. (U/S CAN 976.9 M2rc)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Kentucky in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Kentucky in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Kentucky, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- Records for this Regiment's Companies are from Report of the Adjutant General of the state of Kentucky, Confederate Kentucky Volunteers, War 1861-1865, (Utica, Kentucky : McDowell Publications, c1980), pg. 328-330. FHL Book 976.9 M2rc V. 2