Bon Homme County, South Dakota Genealogy
Guide to Bon Homme County, South Dakota ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business, Commerce, and Occupations
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Funeral Homes
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Guardianship
- 2.14 Land and Property Records
- 2.15 Local Histories
- 2.16 Maps and Gazetteers
- 2.17 Migration
- 2.18 Military Records
- 2.19 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.20 Newspapers
- 2.21 Obituaries
- 2.22 Other Records
- 2.23 Periodicals
- 2.24 Probate Records
- 2.25 School Records
- 2.26 Tax Records
- 2.27 Vital Records
- 3 Research Facilities
- 4 Societies
- 5 Websites
- 6 Research Guides
- 7 References
Bon Homme County is located in the south eastern location of South Dakota. It's county seat is Tyndall. It was names for Bon Homme Island. It was founded April 5, 1862.
Bon Homme County Courthouse
PO Box 6;
Tyndall, SD 57066
Clerk Court has probate records from 1900, court records from 1878 and divorce records;
Register of Deeds has birth, marriage, death and military records
Bon Homme County, South Dakota Record Dates
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
The following are locations in the county
Business, Commerce, and Occupations
- Bon Homme County Cemeteries by Odessa3.org transcriptions, giving names, dates of birth and death if available.
State Census Records
- 1885 South Dakota, Territorial Census, 1885 at Ancestry ($)
- 1895 South Dakota, State Census, 1895 at Ancestry ($)
Federal Census Records
Federal Censuses were taken for South Dakota starting in 1910. For links to Federal census indexes, see South Dakota Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about South Dakota denominations, view the South Dakota Church Records wiki page.
- Records of Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Springfield, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
Land and Property Records
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See South Dakota Land and Property for additional information about early South Dakota land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Online Land Records
- Land Patent Search - index to federal patents and homesteads on the Bureau of Land Management website, some images available
- 1796 - 1907 - U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796-1907 at Ancestry - index, info taken from Bureau of Land Management website
- 1861 - 1936 - U.S. Homestead Records 1861-1936 at Ancestry.com - ($), index and images
Local histories are available for Bon Homme County, South Dakota Genealogy. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section South Dakota Local Histories.
- Bon Homme County history. 1994. By Herbert T. Hoover. Tyndall, South Dakota : Bon Homme County Historical Society. Online at:; At various libraries (WorldCat).
Maps and Gazetteers
- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of South Dakota - shows boundary changes for South Dakota Counties
- Historical Maps and Atlases of South Dakota - maps and atlases of South Dakota
- 1861 -1865 Dakota Territory Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.
- 1885 Civil War Veteran's 1885 Census in South Dakota - Index only, Union and Confederate included
- 1890 United States Census of Union Veterans and Widows of the Civil War, 1890 at FamilySearch.
World War I
World War II
For further information see South Dakota Military Records.
Naturalization and Citizenship
- 1904 - 1928 South Dakota, Federal Naturalization Records, 1904-1928 at Ancestry — index and images ($)
- 1865 - 1972 South Dakota County Naturalization Records, 1865-1972 at FamilySearch — images
- South Dakota Naturalization Records Index:First Papers — index
- South Dakota Naturalization Records Index:Second Papers — index
- Name Index to Naturalization Records from Dakota Territory and South Dakota at National Archives, Kansas City — index
For more information see South Dakota Newspapers. South Dakota Newspapers Online
- GenealogyBank - ($), contains images of South Dakota newspapers
- Newspaper Archive - ($), contains images of South Dakota newspapers
- Chronicling America - contains images of some South Dakota newspapers; searching tips
- Elephind - Free; search engine that retrieves newspaper images from other free newspaper websites
South Dakota Newspaper Catalogs
- U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present on Chronicling America - contains a list of all known newspapers and the dates they cover; once you locate a newspaper name, contact the local library to see if they have copies of the newspaper.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Bon Homme County, South Dakota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in South Dakota, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for South Dakota, Bon Homme then click Probate records.
- 1800 – 1985 North Dakota and South Dakota Wills and Probate Records 1800-1985 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1879 - 1970 South Dakota, School Records, 1879-1970 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1879 - 1970 South Dakota, School Records,1879-1970 at Ancestry — images
South Dakota tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records.
- 1843 - 1914 South Dakota, Department of Health, Index to Births 1843-1914 and Marriages 1950-2014 at FamilySearch — index
- 1856 - 1950 South Dakota, Birth Index, 1856-1915 at Ancestry — index ($)
- Birth Record Search Site For South Dakota Birth Records With Birth Dates Over 100 Years
- 1950 - 2014 South Dakota, Department of Health, Index to Births 1843-1914 and Marriages 1950-014 — index
- 1905 - 2013 South Dakota, Marriages, 1905-2013 at Ancestry — index and images ($)
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
Czech Heritage Preservation Society
PO Box 128
Tabor, SD 57063
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bon_Homme_County%2C_South_Dakota accessed 1/30/2017
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Bon Homme County, South Dakota, p.622
- Wikipedia contributors, "Bon Homme County, South Dakota," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bon_Homme_County,_South_Dakota accessed 1 November 2016.