Borlänge parish, Sweden Genealogy
Guide to Borlänge parish, Sweden ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Back to Sweden►
- 1 History
- 2 Place Names
- 3 Collections
- 3.1 Census Records
- 3.2 Church Records
- 3.3 Military Records
- 3.4 Related Sources
- 3.5 Help Reading Swedish Records
- 3.6 Help Reading Old Handwriting
- 3.7 Help With Research Objectives and Strategies
- 3.8 References
This is a registration parish built within Stora Tuna parish as of Jan. 1, 1929.
|Län||1631-1635 Kopparberg (Ovanbrodelen), 1631-1635 Säter (Utombrodelen), 1636-1640 Kopparberg, 1641-1646 Säter, 1647- Kopparberg|
|Tingslag||-1888 Tuna later called Stora Tuna and Gustafs, 1889-1970 Falu domsagas södra|
|Domsaga||1687-1857 Östra, 1858- Falun|
|Fögderi||1720-1881 Säters län, 1881-1885 Kopparberg, 1886-1946 Falun, 1946- Borlänge|
|Länsmansdistrikt||-1881 Stora Tuna, 1881-1917 Stora Tuna Utombrodel, 1881-1917 Stora Tuna Ovanbrodel|
|Kommun||1863-1970 Stora Tuna, 1971- Borlänge|
|Militär indelning||Dal-regementet:Gagnefs Kompani, Extra Soldat-Roteringen, Dalregementet: Överstelöjtnantens (Gustafs and Gagnefs) companies|
|NAD Ref Code||SE/ULA/11248|
As this parish was created in 1929, see the place names of Stora Tuna for earlier records.
- Surrounding Parishes
- Sweden Household Examination Records (Husförhörslängder)--explanation of this church record which is functionally the census of Sweden.
- Sweden Household Examination Books, 1880 - 1920, ($), index and images. Also on Also on Ancestry.com, ($), Arkiv Digital ($), and SVAR ($).
Online Database Church Records
The easiest way to access the Swedish Church Records is through the internet, using these five sites (see links to specific collections below). Four of these sites require a subscription for access. (ArkivDigital, Ancestry.com, and MyHeritage.com are available at a FamilyHistory Center near you free of charge.)
- Sweden, Kopparberg Church Records, 1604-1900; index 1628-1860, FamilySearch Historical Records.
- MyHeritage.com ($),
- Ancestry.com ($),
- Arkiv Digital ($), and
- SVAR ($).
Help Using ArkivDigital: Online Databases for Sweden
- These lessons will teach you how to use ArkivDigital:
Family History Library Records
Click Sweden, Kopparberg Records for a full listing of microfilmed records (some digitized online) at the Family History Library, that may be viewed on loan at a Family History Center near you. Click on "Places within Sweden, Kopparberg and then select your parish.
Help Reading Swedish Records
- You do not have to be fluent in Swedish to read these records! The have a limited vocabulary: mother, father, born, bride, groom, married, etc. The rest of the content will be names, dates, and places, which do not need translation.
- This Swedish Word List covers typical terms found in the records.
- Swedish Historical Dictionary Database, SHDD: This interactive dictionary allows you to enter a word in the search box and receive the translation.
- Feast Day Calendar (Moveable) and Feast Day Lists (Fixed and Moveable) will help you translate dates written in feast day form.
- Denmark surnames are patronymic and change every generation, so carefully study Sweden Names, Personal.
- For help with reading the column headings found in more recent records, see Swedish Parish Register and Household Exam Roll Headings.
- Instructions, document examples, and translations are given for Reading Swedish Birth and Christening Records 1717, 1752, 1771, 1792, 1803, 1834, 1854.
Help Reading Old Handwriting
- Reading Scandinavian Gothic Handwritten Records: (free, online lessons at FamilySearch):
Help With Research Objectives and Strategies
Riksarkivet. "Stora Tuna Församling." Nationell ArkivDatabas (NAD). March 2011 http://www.nad.ra.se/
Riksarkivet. "Borlänge Församling." Nationell ArkivDatabas (NAD). March 2011 http://www.nad.ra.se/
Skatteverket. "Borlänge." Förteckning (Sveriges församlingar genom tiderna). April 2010 Sveriges församlingar genom tiderna