Braintree, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Braintree, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Braintree St Michael Essex
|Poor Law Union||Braintree|
|Parish registers: 1660|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1800|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Braintree (St Michael the Archangel), is a small town, a parish, a subdistrict, and a district in Essex. The town stands on the river Blackwater, on the Roman road to Coalchester, and on the Blackwater Valley and Bishops-Stortford railway, it is 6 1/4 miles NNW from the Witham Junction of the Eastern Counties railway, and 12 miles NNE of Chelmsford. There are four dissenting chapels; within the sub-district of Braintree there are Independents, Baptists, Quakers, and Wesleyan Methodists.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Deposited parish registers Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office reference DP/264 Images are available online.
Bishop's transcripts for Braintree Microfilm copy of original at the Essex Record Office in Chelmsford.
Essex Record Office, Chelmsford, no.: D/CR 48.
Baptisms, burials, marriages, 1800-1830 FHL BRITISH Film 1702171 Item 8 Baptisms, 1831-1833, 1844-1864; burials, 1831-1833, 1844-1863; marriages, 1831-1833 FHL BRITISH Film 1702172 Item 1
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Particular Baptist
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241369.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Braintree on GENUKI
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
- Wilson,John M., Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870). Adapted: access date 10 May 2013
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 3 March 2012.
- "Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county," Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Essex,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 23 April 2012.