Bridgewater was chartered on July 10, 1761. The town was organized and the first town meeting held on March 30, 1785.
Bridgewater was a well named town even before any bridges were built. Records show that in 1879 there were 73 bridges over ten feet in length.
These bridges were covered to protect the floor of the bridge from the effects of the weather. When the winter snow arrived and wagon wheels had to be changed to runners, it was then necessary to pay someone to “snow” the bridges for easy passage.
Bridgewater, Vermont, 1779-1976, by Gladys S Adams and Thomas E Adams (2005) - Find this book in a library.
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
The probate district for Bridgewater is Hartford.
Hartford Probate Court
62 Pleasant Street
PO Box 275
Woodstock, VT 05091
Phone: (802) 457-1503
The following is a list of cemeteries in present-day Bridgewater. For location of cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Windsor County, website at this link.
- Angell (Bridgewater Hollow) Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Baker Hill (Bridgewater Center) Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Bridgewater Hill Cemetery- inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Kellogg (Kellogg-Bassett) Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Mendall Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Mount Pleasant Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- North Bridgewater Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Topliff Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
Bridgewater cemetery pages where you will find cemetery information and inscriptions courtesy of the Bridgewater Historical Society - http://www.bridgewaterhistory.org/cemeteries/
1. Bethany Mennonite Church
169 Rte 100A
Bridgewater Cors, VT 05035
Phone: (802) 672-3488
2. Bridgewater Congregational Church
7213 Rte. 4
PO Box 4
Phone: (802) 672-5211
Digital images of Bridgewater Town records, 1773-1869, are available online at FamilySearch.
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Bridgewater Town Clerk's Office. These include Deeds, 1781-1894; index, 1781-1898and Records of births, marriages, and deaths, 1868-1997; indexes to births, deaths, marriages, 1773-1997.
Bridgewater Town Clerk
7335 U.S. 4
Bridgewater, VT 05034
Phone: (802) 672-3334
Libraries and Historical Societies
Bridgewater Historical Society, Inc
PO Box 98
12 North Bridgewater Road
Bridgewater, Vermont 05034
Phone: (802) 672-3745
- Bridgewater Historical Society - Town History tidbits - http://www.bridgewaterhistory.org/stories/town-history-tidbits/
- History of the Town of Bridgewater, VT, http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vermont/WindsorBridgewater.html