Brompton, West St Mary
BROMPTON, a suburb of London, a subdistrict, in the parish and district of Kensington, Middlesex; between Knightsbridge and Chelsea, 3½ miles SW by W of St. Paul's. It has post offices‡ under London, S. W., and a large railway station of West Brompton. Acres, 698. P p. in 1841, 9,465; in 1861, 18,198. Houses, 2,572. The north-eastern part is called Old Brompton; and the south-eastern part, New Brompton. Large part of the area is occupied by streets, terraces, crescents, and squares, chiefly of recent erection; and form a continuous town between Belgravia and Chelsea. A part, formerly called Brompton Park, was famous, for nearly two hundred years, as a nursery garden. The consumption hospital, in Fulham road, was founded in 1846; has accommodation for 230 patients; and includes a beautiful chapel, built in 1850. A cancer hospital was established in 1851; and a new building for it, with a principal front 130 feet long, was built in 1859, at a cost of £7,000. Trinity church was erected in 1828; and the burying ground connected with it was formed out of a flower garden,-a fact turned to high poetical account by Miss Landon. Three other churches are in Old Brompton, West Brompton and Onslow square; and all are vicarages in the diocese of London. Value of Trinity vicarage, £639; of West Brompton, £300; of the others, not reported. Patron of Trinity, the Bishop of London; of West Brompton, the Incorporation of Brompton; of Old Brompton chapel, the Vicar of K.; of St. Paul's Onslow square,J. Freake, Esq. There are several dissenting chapels; and there is a Roman Catholic establishment, with a spacious chapel. Henry Cromwell, William Penn Ford, Count Rumford, A. Murphy, John Philpot Curran, Sir Richard Phillips, the Rev. W. Beloe, Charles Incledon, George Colman, and John Reeve, were residents.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))