A guide to genealogy in Bryngwyn, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; etc.
The village was formerly known as Brongwyn.
BRONGWYN (BRYN-GWYN), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of TROEDYRAUR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 1½ mile (N.N.W.) from Newcastle-Emlyn, on the road from Llanbedr, through Atpar, to Cardigan. This parish, the name of which implies the White Mount, is pleasantly situated near the beautiful vale of Teivy, of which, in some places, it commands a fine prospect. The parish is enclosed, and the land in a good state of cultivation and tolerably productive. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a place of worship for Independents. Near the church is a very strong intrenchment, called the Gaer, a name common to fortifications of this description, of which there are many in this part of the principality.
For further information see Bryngwyn at Genuki.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Brongwyn at Vision of Britain
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 130-134. Adapted. Date accessed: 17 January 2014.