Brookthorpe, Gloucestershire Genealogy
Guide to Brookthorpe, Gloucestershire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||Dudstone and King's Barton|
|Poor Law Union||Wheatenhurst|
|Parish registers: 1730|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1569|
|Diocese||Pre 1836 - Gloucester; Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Gloucestershire Record Office|
BROCKTHROP (St. Swithin), a parish, in the union of Wheatenhurst, Middle division of the hundred of Dudstone and King's Barton, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 4 miles (S. E.) from Gloucester. This place is situated on the road between Gloucester and Stroud, and near the head of a small stream which falls into the Severn. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Brookthorpe, Gloucestershire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BROOKTHORPE PARISH Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288769.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Gloucestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
The 1327, 1557/8, and 1584 subsidies are online:
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any additional sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 392-395. Date accessed: 13 May 2013.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813,' Ancestry, accessed 17 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 24 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Marriages, 1754-1938,' Ancestry, accessed 22 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Burials, 1813-1988,' Ancestry, accessed 5 July 2016.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 1 December 2012.
- 'Coverage for the Gloucestershire Marriages database,' FHS Online, accessed 5 May 2014.
- 'Gloucestershire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 18 April 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- J. Melland Hall, 'Brockthorp Taxpayers, 1327-1584,' in Beaver H. Blacker, ed., Gloucestershire Notes and Queries, Vol. 3 (1887):92-93. Digitised by Internet Archive - free.