- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of North Dakota - shows boundary changes for South Dakota Counties
- South Dakota Historical Boundary Changes - list of all boundary changes by county provided by Newberry Library
The following are locations in the county
Business, Commerce, and Occupations
| Historical populations
State Census Records
Federal Census Records
Federal Censuses were taken for South Dakota starting in 1910. For links to Federal census indexes, see South Dakota Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about South Dakota denominations, view the South Dakota Church Records wiki page.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
Land and Property Records
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See South Dakota Land and Property for additional information about early South Dakota land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Online Land Records
Local histories are available for Brown County, South Dakota Genealogy. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section South Dakota Local Histories.
- Bath community, 1881-1981 : our first one hundred years. 1981. By Bath Centennial Book Committee (Bath, South Dakota). [North Dakota?] : Dakota North Plains Press. Online at:; At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Brown County history [South Dakota]. 1980. By History Committee of Brown County Museum and Historical Society. [Aberdeen, South Dakota] : Brown County Museum and Historical Society. Online at:; At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Early history of Brown County, South Dakota : a literature of the people. 1970. By Brown County Territorial Pioneers Association. Aberdeen, South Dakota : Brown Co. Territorial Pioneers Assoc.. Online at:; At various libraries (WorldCat).
- History of the Finnish settlement in Brown and Dickey counties of South and North Dakota, 1881-1955. 1960. By Savo Finnish Historical Society. Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Online at:; At various libraries (WorldCat).
Maps and Gazetteers
World War I
Naturalization and Citizenship
South Dakota Newspapers Online
South Dakota Newspaper Catalogs
- U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present on Chronicling America - contains a list of all known newspapers and the dates they cover; once you locate a newspaper name, contact the local library to see if they have copies of the newspaper.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Brown County, South Dakota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in South Dakota, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for South Dakota, Brown then click Probate records.
South Dakota tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records.
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
Alexander Mitchell Public Library
519 S. Kline Street
Aberdeen, SD 57401
Brown County Historical Society
Dacotah Prairie Museum
PO Box 395
Aberdeen, SD 57401
Frederick Area Historical Society
412 Main St.
PO Box 523
Frederick, SD 57441-0523
Aberdeen Area Genealogical Society
PO Box 493
Aberdeen, SD 57402-0493
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_County,_South_Dakota accessed 1/30/2017
- ↑ http://genealogytrails.com/sdak/brown/ accessed 1/30/2017
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Brown County, South Dakota, p.622
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Brown County, South Dakota," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_County%2C_South_Dakota#Communities accessed 2 November 2016.