The town of Brownington was originally granted in 1782. As with many of the other towns in northern Vermont, the grantees of Brownington got caught in a dispute between the Legislature and the Governor and Council over which branch of government had the right to grant land within the state. Eventually, the disputes were settled and Brownington was chartered on October 2, 1790 by the Vermont Legislature. The town includes three unincorporated villages: Brownington, Brownington Center, and Evansville.
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
Orleans Probate Division
247 Main Street
Newport, VT · 05855
Phone: (802) 334-3305
The following is a list of major cemeteries in present-day Brownington. For location of all cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Orleans County, website at this link.
- Brownington Center Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Brownington Village Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- East Brownington Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- North Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Brownington Town Clerk's Office. These include Records of births, marriages, and deaths, 1861-1883; index of births and deaths, 1861-1916, and Land records, 1797-1878; general index to land records, 1797-1912.
Brownington Town Clerk
622 Schoolhouse Rd.
Brownington, VT 05860
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 66 Orleans, VT 05860
Phone: (802) 754-8401
Libraries and Historical Societies
Northeast Kingdom Genealogy - Genealogy resources for towns in the counties of Essex, Orleans and Caledonia.
- About Brownington, Vermont - http://www.virtualvermont.com/towns/brownington.html#about
- Brownington, Vermont - http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vermont/OrleansBrownington.html