Brundish, Suffolk Genealogy
Guide to Brundish, Suffolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Worlingworth : : : Tannington||Laxfield: : Dennington|
If you live in Suffolk you will have access to a variety of resources at local archives and libraries; however , for those who live further afield, one can access microfilm and online records at Family History Centers. Refer to Brundish and Suffolk in the FamilySearch Catalog for film numbers.
Civil RegistrationBrundish was in Hoxne district till 1907 at which time it was moved into Hartismere District. In 1907 Hoxne district was abolished. To search an index of Hoxne or Hartismere district records go to FreeBMD. The Suffolk Civil Registration article tells more about these records.
The Parish Registers begin in 1562. They can be viewed at the Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich. A copy of the registers from 1562 to 1900 can be purchased from the Suffolk Record Office. For pre-1813 Bishop Transcript entries you will need to look in Hoxne Deanry, Archdeaconry of Suffolk. Parish Chest records are considerable for Brundish. See Suffolk Church Record for further details.
Brundish Parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been partly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years: The Suffolk Family History Society publishes their indexes on CD
|FMP = findmypast (£)||FREG = FreeReg|
|FS = FamilySearch.org||SFHS = Suffolk Family History Society|
|BRUNDISH PARISH (1562) Online Records|
|FS|| 1562-1785 also
|1813-1837 few pre 1813||None|
|SFHS||1813-1900||1754-1900||Suffolk Burial Index|
|Brundish, Suffolk Genealogy Online Records|
There are census records available for Brundish from 1841 to 1911. Census records are available on a variety of subscription and other websites. If you need to consult the 1841 to 1891 census on microfilm, refer to Brundish Censusin the catalogue.
There is statistical data available for the census years 1801 to 1931 that records the number of houses, families, people, and other statistical data for every parish in Suffolk.
Refer to the Suffolk Census wiki article for details about the Census.
Prior to 1858 the primary court that had jurisdiction over Brundish was the Archdeaconry of Suffolk; however, a person’s will or administration may have been probated in nearby courts or even in London. After 1858 it was in Ipswich District.. Refer to the Suffolk Probate Records article for further details.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Suffolk Gazetteers and Directories from 1839 to 1909 - Suffolk Gazetteers and directories provide a brief history and description of each parish and lists principal residents. They mention the farmers and tradesman in each parish and the nearest market towns among other things of interest.
- National Gazetteers provide a brief description of each place
BRUNDISH, a parish in Hoxne district, Suffolk; 4½ miles N by W of Framlingham r. station.
BRUNDISH (St. Lawrence,) a parish, in the union and hundred of Hoxne, E. division of Suffolk, 4½ miles (N. by W.) from Framlingham.
- England Jurisdictions 1851 maps - see parish in context with surrounding parishes also determine various ecclesiastical and civil jurisdictions for this parish
- Brundish on Google maps - see lay of the land as it is today
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 412-415. Adapted. Date accessed: 6 March 2014.
- 'Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 9 December 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Suffolk Baptism Index 1538-1911 Place Index', findmypast, accessed 18 December 2015.
- 'Suffolk Baptism Index 1538-1911 Place Index', findmypast, accessed 30 December 2015.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Suffolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 10 December 2013.
- 'Suffolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 3 December 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 4 December 2013.
- 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 26 April 2014.
- 1870-72, John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales.Date accessed: 23 September 2013.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 412-415. Adapted. Date accessed: 10 January 2014.