Builth Wells, Breconshire Genealogy
BUILTH, (or Llanvair-yn-muallt), a parish and market town in the hundred of Builth, in the county of Brecknock, South Wales, 14 miles to the N. of Brecknock, and 172 miles from London. It is situated on the W. bank of the river Wye, which here separates the counties of Radnor and Brecknock, and is crossed by a stone bridge of six arches, built in 1779. The Welsh name for this place is Llanvair-yn-Muallt. It was the site of a castle, erected probably by the Normans soon after the Conquest. Builth Wells Church is in the Diocese of Swansea and Brecon, in the community of Builth Wells in the county of Powys.For more information, see Builth, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464299.