Butte County, California Genealogy
Guide to Butte County, California ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Butte County, California|
Location in the state of California
Location of California in the U.S.
|Founded||February 18, 1820|
|Address|| Butte County Courthouse|
25 County Center Dr;
Oroville, CA 95965;
Butte County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 Places/Localities
- 3 Resources
- 3.1 Bible Records
- 3.2 Biographies
- 3.3 Cemeteries
- 3.4 Census
- 3.5 Church History and Records
- 3.6 Court Records
- 3.7 Crime and Criminals
- 3.8 Directories
- 3.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 3.10 Gazetteers
- 3.11 Genealogy
- 3.12 History
- 3.13 Land and Property
- 3.14 Maps
- 3.15 Migration
- 3.16 Military History and Records
- 3.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 3.18 Newspapers
- 3.19 Obituaries
- 3.20 Periodicals
- 3.21 Probate Records
- 3.22 Repositories
- 3.23 Societies
- 3.24 Taxation
- 3.25 Vital Records
- 3.26 Voting Registers
- 3.27 Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- 3.28 Websites
- 3.29 References
Butte County, California Record Dates
County Recorder has marriage records from 1851,
born and death records from 1859 and land records;
County Clerk has divorce, probate, probate and court
record from 1850; Meriam Library, California State
University Chico, has divorce, probate and court records
1850-1879 and natural records 1850-1960
1850--Butte County was created 18 February 1850 as an original county. County seat: Oroville 
The county seat Oroville and the county was created February 18, 1850. The County is located in the north central corner of the state.
For animated maps illustrating California county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation California County Boundary Maps" (1850-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Indian Reservations or Rancherias
The Berry Creek Indian Rancheria is located in this county.
- Butte County Biographies (CAGenWeb Project)
- Butte County Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
- Butte County Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
The following web site may have additional information on Butte County cemeteries.
- Interment.net California cemetery records by County.
For tips on accessing Butte County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
Church History and Records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about California denominations, view the California Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Liberty (Gridley)
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Butte County, California Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section California Local Histories.
- Butte County History Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See California Land and Property for additional information about early California land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- Index to General Land Office Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- California Trail 1844 to 1869 from western Missouri to northern California
Military History and Records
- Butte County Military Records (Genealogy Trails)
- Butte County Civil War Veterans (USGenWeb Archives)
Regiments. Service men in Butte County, California Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Butte County, California Genealogy:
- - 1st Regiment, California Cavalry (Union), Company A
- - 1st Regiment, California Infantry (Union), Company A
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Butte County, California Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- 1866-1992 - California Napa and Butte Counties Obituaries 1866-1992 at FamilySearch— index and images
- 1883 - 1899 - Butte County Births, Marriages and Deaths, 1883-1899 at FamilySearch (microfilm)
- 1902 - 1967 - Paradise, California Obituary File Index, 1902-1967 at FamilySearch (microfilm)
- 1963 - 1900 - Butte County Obituary Index, 1963-1990 at FamilySearch
- The Paradise Genealogical Society has a large collection of obituaries and death notices from local Butte County newspapers.
- Butte County Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
- Butte County Obituary Index (Genealogy Trails)
The county clerk is usually the custodian of probate records. The records include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
You can obtain copies of the original probate records (such as wills and estate files) by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for California - Butte - Probate records.
Online Probate Records
- 1782 - 1999 - California Wills and Probate Records 1782-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1850 - 1902 - Butte County California list of will book testators SAMPUBCO - Browsable index of testators of wills - free
- 1833 - 1991 - California Probate Estate Files 1833-1991 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Gridley California Family History Center
- Oroville California Family History Center
Paradise Genealogical Society
Paradise Genealogical Society
5587 Scottwood Road
PO Box 460
Paradise, California 95967-0460
California tax records complement land records and can supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page California Taxation.
- 1857 - Butte County 1857 Tax List (CAGenWeb Project)
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records. The State office has records since July 1905. For earlier records, contact the County Recorder. See also How to order California Vital Records
- 1812 - 1988 - California Births and Christenings, 1812-1988 at FamilySearch — index
- 1905 - 1995 - California Birth Index, 1905-1995 at FamilySearch — index
- 1850 - 1945 - California Marriages, 1850-1945 at FamilySearch — index
- 1850 - 1952 - California, County Marriages, 1850-1952 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1851 - 1860 - Butte County Marriages, 1851-1860 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1854 - 1885 - Western States Marriage Index.
- 1960 - 1985 - California Marriage Index, 1960-1985 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Butte County Marriage Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Butte County Marriage Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- 1860 - Butte County Mortality Schedule, 1860 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1880 - Butte County Mortality Schedule, 1880 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1905 - Butte County Deaths (Genealogy Trails)
- 1905 - Miscellaneous Births and Deaths, Butte County (CAGenWeb Project)
- 1905 - 1939 - California Death Index, 1905-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1940 - 1997 - California Death Index, 1940-1997 at FamilySearch — index
- Butte County, California, Miscellaneous Deaths from Historical Newspapers (CAGenWeb Project)
California county clerks were to keep voting registers every other year from 1866 and well into the 20th century. These large books, called Great Registers, listed the men who registered to vote in that county. Besides name and age, the record may show place of birth, address, occupation, naturalization date and sometimes even a physical description.
These records are at the California State Library (1866-1944), and microfilmed copies are available through Family History Centers (1866-1910). Ancestry ($) has a searchable database of Butte Great Registers from 1867-1898.
The Butte county records for 1872 are available on the RootsWeb site, by clicking here.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Paradise Genealogical Society INC
P O Box 460
5587 Scottwood Rd
Paradise, CA 95969
- Butte County, CA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- California Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- California Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Butte County, CAGenWeb Project
- USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Butte County, California Genealogy Trails
- Butte County CA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 62-75. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Amador County, California. Page 84 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Butte County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butte_County,_California 04/28/2017.
- National Park Service, "California Trail" (map) in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/upload/CALImap1-web.pdf (accessed 5 August 2011).
- Wikipedia contributors, "California Trail" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Trail (accessed 5 August 2012).