Butterton (near Leek), Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Butterton (near Leek), Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Butterton (near Leek), Staffordshire|
|Poor Law Union||Leek|
|Parish registers: 1746|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1660|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Also known as Butterton by Hulme End.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Butterton St Bartholomew was formed in 1775 as a chapelry in Mayfield, Staffordshire
Butterton St Bartholomew parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (findmypast) - (£)|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|BUTTERTON ST BARTHOLOMEW PARISH (1660) Online Records|
Deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1660-1869 Mar 1660--1812, 1840-1982 Bur 1660-1935
Lichfield Record Office holdings of Bishop's Transcripts Bap 1676-1864 Marr 1676-1860 Bur 1676-1864
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Butterton (near Leek), Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474631.
Poor Law Unions
Alstonfield Gilbert Poor Law Union (later Alstonfield Union), Staffordshire until dissolution of the Gilbert Union to become in 1869 part of
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848),pp. 460-462. Date accessed: 16 October 2012.
- fckLR'Butterton,' GENUKI, accessed 18 September 2013.
- 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 21 August 2014.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8