Caio, Carmarthenshire Genealogy
A guide to genealogy in Caio, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; etc.
CAYO, otherwise CYNWYL-GAIO, a parish, in the union of LLANDOVERY, higher division of the hundred of CAYO, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 8 miles (N.W. by N.) from Llandovery. From the discovery of numerous relics of Roman antiquity, it was undoubtedly known to the Romans, and was probably occupied by them. According to tradition it not only took its name from a Roman called Caius, but a large town was erected here by that people, the houses of which, being chiefly of brick, obtained for it the name of Y Drêv gôch yn Neheubarth, or the "Red Town in South Wales. The rivers Cothy and Twrch unite in this parish, and the road from Llandovery to Lampeter passes through it. The church, dedicated to St. Cynwyl, is a spacious structure, in the early style of English architecture, with a square embattled tower. There were anciently chapels of ease at Court-y-Cadno, in the north-eastern part of the parish, at Henllan, at Landre, and at Pump Saint, of which there are no vestiges. There are two places of worship each for Baptists and Methodists, and one for [[Independents.
For more information on Caio see Caio at Genuki.
|before 31 March 1974||Carmarthenshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Dyfed|
|from 1 April 1996||Carmarthenshire|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Union Records
Maps and Gazetteers
- Caio at Vision of Britain.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 228-238. Adapted. Date accessed: 10 January 2014.