Caldwell County, Texas Genealogy
Guide to Caldwell County Texas ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Caldwell County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||March 6, 1848|
|Address|| Caldwell County Courthouse|
110 S Main Street
Lockhart, TX 78644
Caldwell County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 African American
- 4.2 Cemeteries
- 4.3 Census
- 4.4 Church
- 4.5 Court
- 4.6 Land
- 4.7 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Maps
- 4.10 Military
- 4.11 Newspapers
- 4.12 Probate
- 4.13 Taxation
- 4.14 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1903,
marriage and land records from 1848 and court records;
District Clerk has divorce records
P.O. Box 906
P.O. Box 749
This is the third courthouse built on this site. The cornerstone was laid on August 15, 1893 and the building was completed on March 19, 1894. Built by the architectural firm of Martin, Byrnes and Johnston, the structure features mansard roofs and a high central tower with a four way Seth Thomas clock. The three-story edifice is built of Muldoon limestone with red Pecos sandstone trim. Although originally equiped with electricity, the courthouse had no indoor plumbing. Broom closets were later converted into restrooms. It is said that when the first water bill was received, the county judge was so shocked at the charges that he padlocked the restrooms. After a ten year effort involving hundreds of people in the county, a complete historic restoration was completed in the spring of 2000.
Caldwell County, Texas Record Dates
1831-1835--The first settlers received land grants from the Mexican government between 1831 and 1835.
- County seat: Lockhart 
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- 1865 - 1870 Freedmen's Bureau Field Office Records, 1865-1870(images) - FamilySearch
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|FindAGrave||Family History Library||FindAGrave|
|TX Gravestones||WorldCat||Tombstone Project|
|Billion Graves (name)||Cemeteries of TX|
|GenWeb Archives||Texas Cemeteries|
|Billion Graves (cemetery)||Linkpendium|
|See Texas Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1850 Federal Census - USGenWeb Archives Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death/burial date and place. For general information about Texas denominations, view the Texas Church Records wiki page.
- Kyle United Methodist Church (512) 268-2331[[Image:]](512) 268-2331
- First Lockhart Baptist Church (512) 398-5297[[Image:]](512) 398-5297
- St. Anthony's Catholic Church (512) 268-5311[[Image:]](512) 268-5311
- First Christian Church (512) 398-3129[[Image:]](512) 398-3129
- St. Paul's United Church of Christ (512) 398-3745[[Image:]](512) 398-3745
- First Baptist Church (512) 268-3511[[Image:]](512) 268-3511
- Grace Evangelical Church (512) 398-6490[[Image:]](512) 398-6490
- Huntsville Penetentiary Convict Ledger 1849-1899 - USGenWeb Archives Project
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
- Original Land Owners of Texas - USGenWeb Archives Project
Naturalization and Citizenship
- 1906 - 1989 Texas, Naturalization Records, 1906-1989 — index and images
- Plum Creek Almanac Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Texas Land Survey Maps for Caldwell County, Texas Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site
- 1845 - 1848 US American Volunteer Soldiers Mexican War 1845-1848 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1861-1865 - Texas, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Texas, Civil War Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1838 - 1900 Texas Muster Roll Index Cards 1838-1900 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- Confederate Pensions - Texas State Library and Archives
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Caldwell County, Texas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- TX Newspaper Abstracts (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Online Probate Records
- 1800 – 1990 Texas Probate Records 1800-1990 at FamilySearch — images
- Index to Probate Book A - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1800 – 2000 Texas Wills and Probate Records 1800-2000 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
Texas tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Texas Taxation.
1846-1910 Texas County Tax Rolls lists FHL films with county tax lists. The lists vary by county and year. Most records are between the years of 1846 - 1910.
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
Online Birth Indexes and Records
- 1840 - 1981 Texas Births and Christenings 1840-1981 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1903 - 1935 Texas, Birth Certificates, 1903-1935 (images and index) - FamilySearch
- 1903 - 1997 Texas Birth Index, 1903-1997 (index) - FamilySearch
- Caldwell County Birth Records from the Caldwell County TXGenWeb site
Online Marriage Indexes and Records
- 1814 - 1909 and 1966 - 2011 Texas Marriage Collection 1814-1909 and 1966-2011 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1837 - 1977 Texas County Marriage Records, 1837-1977
- 1837 - 1977 Texas Select County Marriage Index 1837-1977 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1848 - 2001 Caldwell County Marriages 1848-2001 from the Caldwell County TXGenWeb site
- 1966 - 2010 Texas, Marriages, 1837-1973 - FamilySearch
- 1966 - 2010 Texas, Marriages, 1966-2010 - FamilySearch
Online Death Indexes and Records
- 1890 - 1976 Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
- 1903 - 1973 Texas Deaths and Burials 1903 - 1973 (index) - FamilySearch
- 1903 - 1973 Texas Deaths and Burials 1903 - 1973 (index) - FamilySearch
- 1903 - 1982 Texas Death Certificates 1903-1982 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1903 - 2000 Texas, Death Index, 1903-2000 (index) - FamilySearch
- 1964 - 1998 Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images]
- 1977 - 1986 Texas Deaths 1977-1986 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1968-2010 Texas Divorce Index 1968-2010 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1968 - 2011 Texas Divorces 1968-2011 at Ancestry.com — index $
Societies and Libraries
Caldwell County Genealogical and Historical Society
215 S. Pecan
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Caldwell County TXGenWeb site
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog The catalog is genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) This catalog is different than the indexed Historical Records.
- USGenWeb Archives Project - transcriptions
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Caldwell County, Texas. Page 660 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).