Calhoun County, West Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Calhoun County West Virginia ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Calhoun County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||March 5, 1856|
|Address|| Calhoun County Courthouse|
P O Box 230
Grantsville, WV 26147
Calhoun County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Calhoun County, West Virginia Record Dates
County Clerk has birth, marriage, death from 1856 Land records from 1856
For animated maps illustrating West Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation West Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1868-77 Birth records are missing for 1868-77.
Places / Localities
- Random Acts WV Cemetery Records Research Guide
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See West Virginia Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Calhoun County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Census takers uncharacteristically recorded the birth town or county of residents this census year.
Regiments. Service men in Calhoun County, West Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Calhoun County, West Virginia Genealogy:
- - 3rd Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry and Infantry) (Confederate). Company A (Moccasin Rangers), Company D.
- - 14th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company E.
- - 19th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company A (The Moccasin Rangers).
Records and histories are available, including:
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1861 - 1865 U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Online Probate Records
- 1724 - 1978 West Virginia Wills and Probate Records 1724-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1756 - 1971 West Virginia Will Books 1756-1971 at [https:/familysearch.org/ FamilySearch] — index and images
Calhoun County, West Virginia Will Books 1870-1969
West Virginia Will Books
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
. Includes marriages 1856-1969 - free.
Societies and Libraries
Calhoun County Historical and Genealogical Society, The
P. O. Box 242
Grantsville, WV 26147-0242
President: Robert Bonar
c/o The Society
Secretary: Teresa Harris
c/o The Society
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Calhoun County, WV History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
Cyndi's List for West Virginia
Microfilms at the Library of Virginia
Calhoun County, West Virginia Biographies
Calhoun County Genealogy Files
Calhoun County WV Gen Web Miscellaneous Records
Welcome to Calhoun coun WV History and Genealogy
Learning How to Edit ourWiki Sites
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Calhoun County, West Virginia. Page 743 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Alycon Trubey Pierce, "In Praise of Errors Made by Census Enumerators," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 81, No. 1 (March 1993):51-55. FHL Book 973 B2ng
- Robert J. Driver, 14th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, c1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 47.
- Richard L. Armstrong, 19th and 20th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 101.