Camden County, North Carolina Genealogy
Guide to Camden County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Camden County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church
- 4.4 Court
- 4.5 Land
- 4.6 Local Histories
- 4.7 Maps
- 4.8 Military
- 4.9 Newspapers
- 4.10 Probate
- 4.11 Taxation
- 4.12 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Camden County Courthouse
Hwy 343 P O Box 190
Camden, NC 27921
Clerk Superior Court has divorce Court records from 1896
Probate Records from 1912;
Register of Deeds
PO Box 64
Camden, NC 27921-0190
Telephone: 252-338-1919 ext. 245
Clerk of Superior Court
PO Box 219
Camden, NC 27921
Telephone: (252) 336-4000
Camden County was formed in 1777 from the northeastern part of Pasquotank County. It was named for Charles Pratt, 1st Lord Camden, who had opposed the Stamp Act. The county is the site of the southern terminus of the Dismal Swamp Canal and was the location of the Battle of South Mills on April 19, 1862 during the American Civil War which brought a minor victory to the Confederacy.
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Several records destroyed in fire with many others missing.
The County consists of three Townships:
- South Mills
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|North Carolina Cemeteries|
|See North Carolina Cemeteries for more information.|
The following sites have listings of cemeteries in Camden County:
- Eastern Shore Chapel Cemetery
- James E. Nash Cemetery
- Archie Sawyer
- Sawyer Cemetery and Sawyer Cemetery 2
- Edwin Ferebee Cemetery
- Hughes Cemetery
- Wesley Methodist Church Cemetery
- Cutrell Family Cemetery
- Brown Family Cemetery
- McPherson-Ferebee Cemetery
- White Oak Hill- Trafton Cemetery
- Gardner Trafton Cemetery
- Gilbert Cemetery
- Hastings Picture Cemetery
- Hastings Cemetery
- Cornelius G. Lamb Family Cemetery
- Lemuel Sawyer Cemetery
- Tarkington Cemetery
- Williams Cemetery
For tips on accessing Camden County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Camden. Constituted 1757.
- Sawyer's Creek. Established by 1790.
- Shiloh, Camden, N.C. Established 1729. Formerly located in Pasquotank County.
- McBride Church. Originally Church of England (since 1733); obtained by Methodists in 1792.
- 1779 - 1782 - North Carolina Revolutionary Pay Vouchers 1779-1782 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885 - 1953 - North Carolina, Confederate Soldiers and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1953 at FamilySearch — images
Regiments. Service men in Camden County, North Carolina Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Camden County, North Carolina Genealogy:
- - 12th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company M
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Camden County:
- Map showing Civil War battles in North Carolina.
World War I
- 1917 - 1919 - North Carolina, World War I Service Cards, 1917-1919 at FamilySearch — index and images
World War II
- 1940 - 1948 - North Carolina, Discharge and Statement of Service Records, 1940-1948 at FamilySearch — index and images
Online Probate Records
- 1660 -1790 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1660-1790 at Ancestry.com — index and images $]
- 1663 - 1979 - North Carolina Estate Files, 1663-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1665 - 1998 - North Carolina Wills and Probate Records 1665-1998 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1735 - 1970 - North Carolina Probate Records 1735-1970 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1760 - 1800 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1760-1800 at Ancestry.com — index and images
- Pre - 1790 - Pre-1790 Camden County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1822 - 1920 - Camden County North Carolina list of will book testators SAMPUBCO -Browsable index of testators of wills. - Free
- 1822 - 1920 - Will Books (1822-1920) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- 1800 - 2000 - North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866 - 1964 - North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1898 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1906 - 1930 - North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908 - 2004 - North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909 - 1975 - North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1848 - 1940 - Camden County Marriage Books A1-C1 Index 1848-1940 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1741 - 2004 - North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979 - North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1979 - North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1763 - 1868 - North Carolina, Civil Marriages, 1763-1868 at FamilySearch — index and images
Societies and Libraries
Albemarle Genealogical Society
142 Waterlily Road
Coinjock, NC 27923
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Camden County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- USGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- NCGenWeb Camden County
- Camden County USGenWeb Archives
- Camden County Government Services
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Camden County, North Carolina. Page 507 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 1:487, 492; 2:562. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- J.R.B. Hathaway, "The Earliest Baptist Congregation Organized in North Carolina," The North Carolina Historical and Genealogical Register, Vol. 1, No. 2 (Apr. 1900):283. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- "McBride Church," North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program, http://www.ncmarkers.com/, accessed 22 October 2012.
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 9 August, 2012)
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/4/4d/Iginorthcarolinaa.pdf.