Campleton, Argyle, Scotland Church Records
Campleton, Argyle, Scotland (#507)
This parish consists of the ancient parishes of Kilkerran, Kilmichael, Kilkerran and Kilchousland. Soon after the Reformation, they were united and called the parish of Lochhead. Changed to Campbelton about 1687. The village of Dalintober, and Campbelton are the nearest towns. The Dalrhudinian monarchs reigned in this country. The major land owners were: The Duke of Argyle, M’Neil of Ugadale, Golbreath of Machirchanich, and Campbell of Askomil, Kilpatrick of Chescan. The land was primarily used for farming. The population in 1795 was 8706, and in 1841 was 9539. The date of the earliest entry of parochial registers is 1682, and has been regularly kept since then. There are two parish churches, one in Gaelic and the other English. There are within the parish a Relief Church, an independent meeting house, and a Roman Catholic chapel.
This account was written in 1843.
source: New Statistical Account of Scotland (FHL book 941 B4sa, series 2 vol. 7)