Carlton County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Carlton County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Carlton County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||May 23, 1857|
|Address|| Carlton County Courthouse|
301 Walnut Avenue
Carlton, MN 55718
Carlton County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Carlton County, Minnesota Record Dates
Clerk District Court has birth, marriage, death, burial, probate, court,
land and naturalization records from 1972. 
- 1857--Carlton County was created 23 May 1857 from Pine and St. Louis Counties. County seat: Carlton 
- For a brief history of how Carlton County was named, click here, then select Carlton County.
For animated maps illustrating Minnesota County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Minnesota County Boundary Maps" (1849-1960) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Atkinson Township | Automba Township | Barnum Township | Beseman Township | Blackhoof Township | Eagle Township | Holyoke Township | Kalevala Township | Lakeview Township | Mahtowa Township | Moose Lake Township | Perch Lake Township | Silver Township | Silver Brook Township | Skelton Township | Split Rock Township | Thomson Township | Twin Lakes Township | Wrenshall Township
Clear Creek | North Carlton
Atkinson | Automba | Duesler | Esko | Harney | Holyoke | Iverson | Mahtowa | Nemadji | Otter Creek | Pleasant Valley | Sawyer | Scotts Corner
- Hillcrest Cemetery, Cloquet, Carlton - interment.net
- 1865 - Minnesota State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Minnesota State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Minnesota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Carlton – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Carlton County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Carlton County, Minnesota Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Carlton County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Online Probate Records
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Carlton County, Genealogical Society Of
P.O. Box 204
Moose Lake Area Historical Society
PO Box 235
900 Folz Blvd
Moose Lake MN 55767-0235
Northeast Minnesota Historical Center
University of Minnesota-Duluth
Duluth, MN 55812
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Carlton County, MN History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Minnesota Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Minnesota Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Carlton County, MN Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Carlton County GenWeb
- Cyndi's List: Carlton County
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 385-403. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Carlton County, Minnesota page 362, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).