Caroline County, Maryland Genealogy
Guide to Caroline County, Maryland ancestry, family history, and genealogy, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, and military records.
|Caroline County, Maryland|
Location in the state of Maryland
Location of Maryland in the U.S.
|Founded||June 15, 1773|
|Address|| Caroline County Courthouse|
P O Box 207
109 Market Street Room 123
Denton, Maryland 21629
Caroline County Website
- 1 Caroline County Maryland Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church
- 4.4 Court
- 4.5 Family Histories
- 4.6 Gazetteers
- 4.7 Land
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Maps
- 4.10 Military
- 4.11 Newspapers
- 4.12 Probate
- 4.13 Taxation
- 4.14 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage, divorce, court and land records from1774; Register of wills has death and probate records. 
- Named for Lady Caroline Eden, wife of Maryland's last appointed royal colonial governor, Robert Eden, 1st Baronet of Maryland before he was usurped by the Annapolis Convention in 1776.
- Pig Point was the county seat. The name has since been renamed Denton.
- 1773 Caroline County was created 15 June 1773 from Dorchester and Queen Anne's Counties.
County seat: Denton.
For animated maps illustrating Maryland county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Maryland County Boundary Maps" (1637-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
- Lost censuses: 1790, 1890
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Maryland Cemeteries for more information.|
Federal Census reports available 1800-1930 including slave and veterans schedules. For tips on accessing Caroline County, Maryland Genealogy census records online, see: Maryland Census.
- 1668-1995 Maryland, Church Records, 1668-1995 at FamilySearch — index
- Guide to Maryland Religious Institutions is not intended to be a complete listing of all Religious institutions in Maryland. It was originally based upon the churches recorded by the Federal Works Progress Administration during a records survey conducted from 1935 to 1941. It has been expanded by later acquisitions from religious organizations to the Maryland State Archives.
Church of England
See also St. John's Parish
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- Barnes, Robert W., F. Edward Wright, Vernon L. Skinner and Henry C. Peden. Colonial Families of the Eastern Shore of Maryland. 23 vols. Westminster, Md.: Family Line, 1996-2003; Lewes, Del.: Delmarva Roots and Colonial Roots, 2007. FHL US/CAN Book 975.21 D2b v. 1 ff. [Caroline County families appear in Vols. 7 and 11.]
- [Genn] Hillman, Ralph E. "James Genn of Northumberland County, Virginia, and Some of His Descendants," The American Genealogist, Vol. 72, No. 1 (Jan. 1997):32-38; Vol. 72, No. 2 (Apr. 1997):101-108.
- [Wright] Wright, Charles W. The Wright Ancestry of Caroline, Dorchester, Somerset and Wicomico Counties Maryland. Baltimore: Baltimore City Printing and Binding Co., 1907. Available at FHL
Maryland State Archives has uploaded free images and indexes to the complete series of Caroline County Deed Books (1774-present). Visit their site to find the land records that interest you: A Digital Image Retrieval System for Land Records in Maryland. (Free registration is required.)
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Maryland, Caroline County on page 127.]
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Maryland, Caroline County, pp. 139-140. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
- Wright, F. Edward Caroline County (Maryland) militia in the War of 1812, (1977) pages 65.
- 1861-1865 - Maryland, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Maryland, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
Regiments. Service men in Caroline County, Maryland Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Caroline County, Maryland Genealogy:
- - 1st Regiment, Maryland Eastern Shore Infantry, Company D, E, F, and G:
- Caroline County newspapers are identified in "Guide to Maryland Newspapers," available online, courtesy: Special Collections, Maryland State Archives.
- Probate Records, Colonial Index, 1634-1777 online at Maryland State Archives website - free
Online Probate Records
- 1635 – 1777 Maryland Wills and Probate Records 1635-1777 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1635 – 1743 Maryland Calendar of Wills 1635-1743 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1796 – 1940 Maryland Probate Estate and Guardianship Files , 1796-1940 at FamilySearch images
-  Caroline County Tax List of 1783: This is an alphabetical index to names to all property owners assessed. The index cards at the Maryland State Archives include county, hundred, names of tracts of land and whether individuals were paupers or single males as provided in the law.
- 1658-1940 Maryland County Marriages, 1658-1940 at FamilySearch — index
- 1666 - 1970 Maryland Marriages, 1666-1970 at FamilySearch — index
- 1774-1815 - Cranor, Henry Downes. "Marriage Licenses of Caroline County, Maryland, 1774-1815," The Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography, 1774-1778: Vol. 28 (1904):209-215; 1779-1799: Vol. 28 (1904):320-345; 1800-1815: Vol. 28 (1904):428-455. For free online access, see WeRelate.
- Marriage Records - Maryland State Archives
- 1898-1944 - Maryland Death Index 1898-1944
Societies and Libraries
Old Methodist Church Cemetery
Greensboro Historical Society
209 N. Main Street
Greensboro, MD 21639
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Caroline County, Maryland Genealogy, History and Facts (Genealogy Inc)
- The Caroline County MDGenWeb Project, a member of The MDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project
- "Caroline Co.," in Genealogical Sources in Periodicals at The Maryland State Archives.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project, Caroline County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project, Caroline County (Backup site)
- FamilySearch Catalog, Caroline County
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Caroline, Maryland page 317, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Wikipedia contributors, "5th Maryland Regiment," http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5th_Maryland_Regiment, accessed 31 May 2012.