Carroll County, Maryland Genealogy
Guide to Carroll County, Maryland ancestry, family history, and genealogy, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, and military records.
|Carroll County, Maryland|
Location in the state of Maryland
Location of Maryland in the U.S.
|Founded||January 19, 1837|
|Address|| Carroll County Courthouse|
225 North Center St.
Westminster, MD 21157
Carroll County Website
- 1 Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church
- 4.4 Court
- 4.5 Gazetteers
- 4.6 Genealogy
- 4.7 Land
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Maps
- 4.10 Military
- 4.11 Newspapers
- 4.12 Probate
- 4.13 Research Guides
- 4.14 Taxation
- 4.15 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records 1837-1900
not indexed and from 1900 indexed, divorce, court
and land records from 1837. 
- Named for Charles Carroll of Carrollton (he signed this way) (1737-1832), the last surviving signer of Declaration of Independence.
- 1837--Carroll County was created 19 January 1837 from Baltimore and Frederick counties by taking the following hundreds from Baltimore County: North Hundred, Pipe Creek Hundred, Delaware Upper Hundred, Delaware Lower Hundred and from Frederick County: Pipe Creek Hundred, Westminster Hundred, Unity Hundred, Burnt House Hundred, Piney Creek Hundred, and Taneytown Hundred. County seat: Westminster.
For animated maps illustrating Maryland county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Maryland County Boundary Maps" (1637-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Most early papers of the county court have been lost.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Maryland Cemeteries for more information.|
Federal Census reports available 1840-1930 including slave and veterans schedules. For tips on accessing Carroll County, Maryland Genealogy census records online, see: Maryland Census.
- Guide to Maryland Religious Institutions is not intended to be a complete listing of all Religious institutions in Maryland. It was originally based upon the churches recorded by the Federal Works Progress Administration during a records survey conducted from 1935 to 1941. It has been expanded by later acquisitions from religious organizations to the Maryland State Archives.
- [Winchester] Boddie, John Thomas and John Bennett Boddie. Boddie and Allied Families. Chicago: n.p., 1918. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
Through a Joint eGovernment Service of the Maryland Judiciary and the Maryland State Archives, free images and indexes of the complete series of Carroll County Deed Books (1837-present) have been uploaded to their website: A Digital Image Retrieval System for Land Records in Maryland. (Requires free registration.)
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Maryland, Carroll County on page 127.]
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Maryland, Carroll County, pp. 140-142. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
- 1861-1865 - Maryland, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Maryland, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
Regiments. Service men in Carroll County, Maryland Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Carroll County, Maryland Genealogy:
- - 1st Regiment, Maryland Eastern Shore Infantry, Companies D, E, F and G.
- - 6th Regiment, Maryland Infantry, Companies A and C.
- - 7th Regiment, Maryland Infantry, Companies D and F.
- Carroll County newspapers are identified in "Guide to Maryland Newspapers," available online, courtesy: Special Collections, Maryland State Archives.
Online Probate Records
- 1604 – 1878 Maryland Wills and Probate Records 1604-1878 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1635 – 1743 Maryland Calendar of Wills 1635-1743 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1796 – 1940 Maryland Probate Estate and Guardianship Files , 1796-1940 at FamilySearch images
- Carroll County Genealogical Society. A Guide to Genealogical Research in Carroll County. Westminster, Md.: Carroll County Genealogical Society, 1991.
- Souza, Eileen A. “Research in Carroll County.” Maryland Genealogical Society Journal 53, no. 2 (2012): 307-324.
- 1793 - "1793 Tax, Taylorsville Area," Western Maryland Genealogy, Vol. 5, No. 4 (Oct. 1989):172-174.
- 1798 - Horvath, George J. The Particular Assessment Lists for Baltimore and Carroll Counties - 1798. Westminster, Md.: Family Line Publications, 1991.
- 1658 - 1940 Maryland County Marriages, 1658-1940 at FamilySearch — index
- 1666 - 1970 Maryland Marriages, 1666-1970 at FamilySearch — index
- 1898 - 1944 Maryland Death Index 1898-1944
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Carroll County, Maryland Genealogy, History and Facts (Genealogy Inc)
- The Carroll County MDGenWeb Project, a member of The MDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project
- "Carroll Co.," in Genealogical Sources in Periodicals at The Maryland State Archives.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Carroll County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Carroll County (Backup site)
- FamilySearch Catalog, Carroll County
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Carroll, Maryland page 317, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].