Carroll County, Mississippi Genealogy
Guide to Carroll County, Mississippi ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Carroll County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||23 December, 1833|
|County Seat||Carrollton Vaiden|
|Address|| Carroll County Courthouse]|
Carrollton, MS 38917
Carroll County Courthouse
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Occupations
- 5.16 Probate Records
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Carroll County, Mississippi Record Dates
- Carroll County, Mississippi, history and families Includes index. The county history information contained in the front of the book consists of very basic facts, along with church, school and community histories submitted by individuals. The main focus of our book is to present the family histories (approximately 850) all of which were also submitted by individuals.
- Military records and history of Carroll County, Mississippi, 1846-1926
1833--Carroll County was created 23 December 1833 from the Choctaw Cession. County records are housed in and Vaiden.
County seat: Carrollton
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1785-1918) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Mississippi Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Carroll County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
- 1805 - 1890 Mississippi, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1805-1890 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1660 - 1820 U.S. Census Reconstructed Records, 1660-1820 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1792 - 1866 Mississippi, State and Territorial Census Collection, 1792-1866 at Ancestry.com — index $
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page. Grace Church, Carrollton
- 1861-1885 - Grace Church, Carrollton, Baptism Index 1861-1885. Batch C714091 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1861-1895 - Grace Church, Carrollton, Marriage Index 1861-1895. Batch M714091 at FamilySearch - free.
Methodist Episcopal Church, Carrollton
- 1870-1885 - Methodist Episcopal Church, Carrollton, Baptism Index 1870-1885. Batch C714081 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1870-1895 - Methodist Episcopal Church, Carrollton, Marriage Index 1870-1895. Batch M714081 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Carroll County, Mississippi Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Maps of Mississippi (1785-1918)
- Family Maps of Carroll County, Mississippi Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- 1861-1865 - Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1861-1865 - Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1889-1942 - Mississippi, Confederate Records, 1889-1942 at FamilySearch — images
- 1900-1974 - Mississippi, Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1900-1974 at FamilySearch — images
- Men from Carroll County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Carroll County.
- - 1st Battalion, Mississippi Cavalry (Miller's)
- Company C - Carroll Rangers
- - 1st Battalion, Mississippi Sharpshooters
- Company A - Coms Avengers
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Light Artillery
- Company E - Carroll Light Artillery
- Company L - Vaiden Artillery
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company A - Carroll Rangers
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry Reserves
- Company F - Shipp’s Company
- Company G - Coyle’s Company
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Partisans [Also known as 2nd Partisan Rangers Cavalry/Ballentine’s]
- Company A - Ford’s Company
- - 4th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company C - Red Invincibles
- Company E - Stephens Guards
- Company H - Carroll County Rebels
- - 5th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company A - Mississippi Rangers
- Company B - Trotter’s Company
- Company C - Curtis’ Company
- Company D - Scales’ Company
- - 11th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company K - Carroll County Rifles
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Carroll County, Mississippi Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Carroll County, Mississippi Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Carroll County, Mississippi Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930. See the wiki page Mississippi Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1780 – 1982 Mississippi Wills and Probate Records 1780-1982 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1781 – 1930 Mississippi Probate Records 1781-1930 at FamilySearch — images
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1800-1920 - Marriage Records for Carroll County. Courtesy: MSGenWeb - free.
- 1834-1923 - Carroll County Marriage Books A thru V and 1 thru 7 Index 1834-1923 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874-1950 Carroll County, Mississippi, Carrollton Courthouse marriage records; indexes, 1874-1950
- 1800 - 1911 Mississippi, Marriages, 1800-1911 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1776 - 1935 Mississippi Marriages, 1776-1935 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826 - 1900 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-1900 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826 - 50 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-50 at Ancestry.com — index $
- to 1825 Mississippi Marriages to 1825 at Ancestry.com — index $
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Carroll County Genealogy Society,
P. O. Box 282,
Carrollton, MS 38917
Meetings are held the third Monday of each month March through May and September through November at 7:30 p.m. at the Westminster Library, 50 E. Main Street, Westminster.
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Carroll County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Carroll County, Mississippi page 378, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Charles Carroll of Carrollton, Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Carroll_of_Carrollton.fckLR
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/c/ce/Igimississippia.pdf.