Carson/Stewart Indian School (Nevada)
Carson/Stewart School, Nevada, was established in 1890 as a nonreservation boarding school. It also had responsibility for the Walker River Reservation from 1897 to 1908. In 1925, it merged with the Reno Agency to form the Carson Agency. The school was successively supervised by the Carson and Western Nevada Agencies until it was abolished in 1982.
Many of the records of the Carson/Stewart Indian School are housed at the Pacific Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in San Francisco. These records include, among other things:
- Student case files, 1919-1962
- Enrollment records, 1931
The 1900 federal census included population schedules for the Carson Indian School. The census includes the non-Indian employees of the school, as well as many pages of Indian Population Schedules for the native population. They are recorded as District 52, Carson Indian, in Ormsby County, Nevada.
Microfilm copies of ...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Carson/Stewart School, 1910-1935, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, Rolls 9-11, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City (their microfilm numbers 1724227-1724229).
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.