Carteret County, North Carolina Genealogy
Guide to Carteret County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Carteret County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church Records
- 4.4 Court
- 4.5 Directories
- 4.6 Education
- 4.7 Family Histories
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Newspapers
- 4.13 Probate
- 4.14 Taxation
- 4.15 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Carteret County Courthouse
Cateret Count Courthouse Square
Beaufort, NC 28516
Register of Deeds has birth, marriage and death and land records
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, Probate and court records
Register of Deeds
302 Courthouse Square
Beaufort, NC 28516
Clerk of Superior Court
300 Courthouse Square
Beaufort, NC 28516
Telephone: (252) 504-4400
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
- Carteret County cemetery information - via NCGenWeb Archives
- Carteret County cemeteries - via Find-A-Grave.com
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|North Carolina Cemeteries|
|See North Carolina Cemeteries for more information.|
- Carteret County census records - via the NCGenWeb Archives
For tips on accessing Carteret County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Church records - via the NCGenWeb Archives
- Hadnor's Creek aka Hadnot's Creek. Constituted 1789.
- Newport River aka Newport and North River. Constituted 1778.
Church of England
- St. John's Parish. Established 1742. Vestry minutes begin 1742.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Harker's Island
- Court records - transcribed for the NCGenWeb Archives
- Several NC state business directories are available online. Visit this list of directories, open the directory, and navigate to Cartetert County. Directories include information on area businesses and citizens.
- Carteret County students at NC colleges – via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
- [Middleton] Brown, Leslie H. "John Middleton of Hampton, Va., and Onslow County, N.C.," The American Genealogist, Vol. 55, No. 3 (Jul. 1979):161-162. FHL 973 D25aga v. 55
- Deeds of Carteret County - via the NCGenWeb Archives
- Carteret County Maps - almost 100 maps from the North Carolina State Library
- Carteret County miltary records - check the "Military" section on the Carteret County NCGenWeb page
- Military records - transcribed for the NCGenWeb Archives
- 1779 - 1782 - North Carolina Revolutionary Pay Vouchers 1779-1782 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885 - 1953 - North Carolina, Confederate Soldiers and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1953 at FamilySearch — images
Regiments. Service men in Carteret County, North Carolina Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Carteret County, North Carolina Genealogy:
- -2nd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- - 1st Regiment, North Carolina Artillery 10th Regiment Volunteers-1st Artillery, Company G
- - 1st Regiment, North Carolina Artillery 10th Regiment Volunteers-1st Artillery, Company H
- - 2nd Regiment, North Carolina Artillery, Company G
- - 2nd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, 1st Company C
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Carteret County:
- Map showing Civil War battles in North Carolina.
World War II
- 1940 - 1948 - North Carolina, Discharge and Statement of Service Records, 1940-1948 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Carteret County newspapers - a listing of newspapers published in the county; via the Library of Congress
- North Carolina Newspaper Digitization Project - contains full-text papers from 1752-1890s. Search for your Carteret County ancestors.
- Carteret County News Times - current newspaper in the county
Online Probate Records
- 1660 - 1790 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1660-1790 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1663 - 1979 - North Carolina Estate Files, 1663-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1665 - 1998 - North Carolina Wills and Probate Records 1665-1998 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1735 - 1970 - North Carolina Probate Records 1735-1970 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1760 - 1800 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1760-1800 at Ancestry.com — index and images
- 1681 - 1888 - Alphabetical Index of Wills 1681-1888 - via Carteret County NCGenWeb
- Carteret County wills & estates - transcribed for the NCGenWeb Archives
- Pre - 1790 - Pre-1790 Carteret County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1745 - 1957 - Will Books A to H (1745-1957) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Carteret County Tax Lists - via the NCGenWeb Archives
- 1800 - 2000 - North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866 - 1964 - North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1804 - 1951 - Carteret County Marriage Index 1804-1951 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- Carteret County Marriages - transcribed for the NCGenWeb Archives
- 1799 - 1893 - Carteret County marriages - are included in Carrie Broughton's 6-volume index of the Raleigh Register & State Gazette newspaper (1799-1893). Marriages are listed by year and PDF files are searcheable. Available on the North Carolina Digital Collections website.
- 1771 - 1868 - Carteret County Marriages 1771-1868. Available to members. North Carolina Pioneers
- Pre - 1799 - North Carolina Marriages to 1799, a database, available to members North Carolina Pioneers
- 1741 - 2004 - North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979 - North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1979 - North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1763 - 1868 - North Carolina, Civil Marriages, 1763-1868 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Carteret County Obituaries - transcribed for the NCGenWeb
- Carteret County deaths - list of county area deaths reported in various newspapers; dates range from late 1700s to 1900s.
- 1898 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1906 - 1930 - North Carolina Death Certificates, 1906-1930 - via FamilySearch; images included
- 1908 - 2004 - North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909 - 1975 - North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
Societies and Libraries
Carteret County Historical Society
1008 Arendell Street, Morehead City
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Harkers Island North Carolina Family History Center
- Morehead City North Carolina Family History Center
- Carteret County NCGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project.
- Carteret County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- Grandpa was a Whaler - post by Mark Green about the Chadwick family
- FamilySearch Catalog
- North Carolina Pioneers North Carolina Pioneers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Carteret County, North Carolina. Page 507 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Lemuel Burkitt and Jesse Read, A Concise History of the Kehukee Baptist Association: From Its Original Rise Down to 1808 (1808), Chapter 16. Digital version at archives.org; George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 1:491-492, 2:561-562. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- Robert J. Cain, ed., The Church of England in North Carolina: Documents, 1699-1741 (Raleigh, N.C.: Division of Archives and History, North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, 1999), 432. FHL Book 975.6 K2cr.
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 8 August, 2012)
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/4/4d/Iginorthcarolinaa.pdf.