Chalmers Free Presbyterian Church--Dundee Angus Parish -282

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

History of this church as well as record with year ranges, membership records and the number of people in given years, notes and sources where you can obtain the records as well as where we got the information from.

History

This congregation was formed as the fruit of mission work. After eighteen months' preliminary work, a church was built and opened in November 1852. The charge was sanctioned in 1854. In that year a school was erected; it was subsequently used as church halls. The site of the school was eventually purchased in 1866 a gallery was put into the church and a manse was provided. The district gradually deteriorated.

Membership:

  • 1850, 150
  • 1900, 489

Source

Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900 , ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. Film #918572. More details may be given in the source.

Records

  • Various Minutes 1853–1917
  • Communion Rolls 1854–1868

Note:Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/791