Charmouth, Dorset Genealogy
Guide to Charmouth, Dorset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Axminster|
|Parish registers: 1653|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1731|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Dorset|
|Location of Archive|
|Dorset Record Office|
CHARMOUTH, a village and a parish in the district of Axminster and county of Dorset. The village stands on the coast, at the mouth of the river Char, under Charmouth hill, adjacent to the line of a Roman road, 2 miles NE by E of Lyme-Regis, and 6½ W of Bridport r. station. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Charmouth, Dorset Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|Charmouth, Dorset Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241337.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Dorset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, publ. London and Edinburgh: 1870. Date accessed: 04 July 2013.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 5 July 2012.
- 'Search Marriage Records in Dorset,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 9 June 2012.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- 'Dorset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 10 January 2014.
- 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 26 April 2014.