Charterhouse Chapel St Thomas

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

England Gotoarrow.png Middlesex Gotoarrow.png Middlesex Parishes Gotoarrow.png Charterhouse Chapel St Thomas

Parish History

"The Charterhouse is situated on the north side of Charter House Swuare, Aldersgate Street. It is one of the Principal foundation schools of the metropolis.The site upon which it stands was anciently part of the estates of the hospital of St John of Jerusalem. Sir Walter Manny, one of the earliest knights of the garter, who had served with Edward III, in his wars with France, purchased it in 1349, of the knights of St John, for the purpose of interring the dead, after the dreadful plague whihc in that year had visited the metropolis. He built a chapel on part of the ground and named theplace New Church Haw. Sir Walter conceived the design of the foundling a college upon this site, about the year 1360, but the whole cemetery was purchased of him, by Michae de Northbury, Bishop of London, who in 1361 errected and founded a conver of Carthusians, an order of Monks founded by St Bruno, in the Chartreux, a steep rock in a desert, new Grenoble in France. Hence its name, which is a vulgar corruption of Charteuse. In the reign of Henry VIII, John Houghton, the last prior...subscribed to the king's supremacy, yet was afterwards executed for some opposition to that tyrants's will. This monastery was suppressed, among other, in 1538, and granted by the crown in 1542, to John Bridges and Thomas Hall for this joint lives; and in 1555, to Edward Lord North, who sold it to the Duke of Northumberland; and on that nobleman being attainted of high treason, it again reverted to the crown. It was afterward conferred...greatly improved... and retained its commission as a an eminent hospital."

James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect. In “A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Envirions,” (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831).

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

FreeReg[1]

  • Baptisms 1696-1836
  • Marriages 1671-1890
  • Burials 1695-1854

To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.


Census records

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Poor Law Unions

Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Websites


Cite error: <ref> tags exist, but no <references/> tag was found