Cheadle, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Cheadle, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Cheadle|
|Parish registers: 1567|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1660|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
CHEADLE (St. Giles), a market-town and parish,and the head of a union, in the S. division of the hundred of Totmonslow, N. division of the county of Stafford, 14 miles (N. N. E.) from Stafford. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, the New Connexion of Methodists, or Kilhamites, and Roman Catholics.
Cheadle St Giles is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Staffordshire. Other places in the parish include: Above Park, Brookistone, Huntley, Cheadle Mill, and Cheadle Grange.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Please see Staffordshire BMD
Cheadle parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|CHEADLE PARISH (1575) Online Records|
|FREG||1575-1656, 1780-1793, 1887-1903||
||1575-1656, 1813-1911|| |
Many of Staffordshire's Parish Register entries have been transcribed in
full by Staffordshire Freereg and can be searched for free.
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Cheadle, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474663.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 558-562. Date accessed: 23 October 2012.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 September 2014.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8