Chelmsford, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Chelmsford, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Cathedral Chelmsford Essex
|Poor Law Union||Chelmsford|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1639; 1800|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
CHELMSFORD (St. Mary), is a market-town and a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Chelmsford, the S. division of Essex, of which it is the chief town, it is 29 miles (N. E. by E.) from London, on the road to Yarmouth; containing, with the hamlet of Moulsham. Chelmsford is near the Eastern Counties railway, and this railway has a station here. A chapel has been erected at Moulsham. There are places of worship for Independents, Baptists, Irvingites, the Society of Friends, Wesleyans, and Roman Catholics.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Chelmsford, Essex Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Chelmsford, Essex Genealogy Online Parish Records|
For other churches in Chelmsford see the following pages:
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Society of Friends/Quaker
- Wesleyan Methodist
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241364.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Chelmsford on GENUKI
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) Adapted: Date Accessed 10 May 2013
- 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 14 April 2012.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 3 March 2012.
- 'Essex Parish registers collection 1538 on Familyrelatives.com,' Family Relatives, accessed 12 March 2012. Derived from Phillimore Marriage Indexes.
- Essex Coverage in FreeReg, FreeREG, accessed 19 April 2012.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 15 May 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Essex,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 15 May 2012.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm