Chelsea St Saviours
May also be known as Upper Chelsea St. Saviours
The church of Saint Saviour was built on Walton Place between 1838 and 1840, seating 1,200. A district chapelry was assigned to the church in 1842, largely from the parish of Holy Trinity. The Rector of Holy Trinity was the patron of the church. The church ran a mission hall in Marlborough Road. There was no full-time vicar in 1992 and the church was closed in 1995. It was proposed to retain part of the church for services and convert the remainder of the building into housing. This was completed by 2003 leaving a church seating 80.
Source of information: 'Religious history: Church extension', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 12: Chelsea (2004), pp. 250-258. Available online.
On 1 November 2011, the parish of St Saviour, Upper Chelsea, was added to that of Holy Trinity and the new parochial unit is The Parish of The Holy and Undivided Trinity with St Saviour, Upper Chelsea, and the church building in Walton Place became a chapel of ease to Holy Trinity.
Intermission: journeys of creation through stories of faith, in the parish church of St Saviour's has a variety of dynamic spaces for worship, performances, exhibitions, workshops and meetings. Intermission is a faith community that goes beyond the walls of St Saviour's. It is a community of Christian performers, writers and artists committed to the deepening understanding of God through Arts Media. Within the space they are invited to worship, inspire and entertain through the creativity of God. Intermission hosts a rolling monthly exhibition as well as inviting others from the world of theatre, music, media, dance and the visual arts.
Held at the London Metropolitan Archives. St. Saviour's code is GB 0074 P74/SAV
Scope and content:
Records of the parish of Saint Saviour, Chelsea, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns of marriage, sermons, preachers and church services; papers regarding church finances including accounts; papers regarding the construction and maintenance of church buildings; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes; annual pastoral letters and reports; and parish magazines.
- Charles Booth's online interactive poverty map for 1899.